• Inspiration
  • Destinations
  • Places To Stay
  • Style & Culture
  • Food & Drink
  • Wellness & Spas
  • News & Advice
  • Partnerships
  • On The Move
  • Travel Tips
  • Competitions

Travel to Austria: Entry requirements and lockdown rules explained

By Sarah James , Natalie Munro and Becky Lucas

Scenic nature landscape view of Hallstatt mountain village reflecting in Hallstatter see lake against The Austrian...

Trying to plan a trip to Austria ? Here’s everything you need to know about travel rules to the country, and whether Austria is in lockdown. 

Can Brits travel to Austria?

On 16 May 2022, Austria announced that they would be dropping all Covid entry requirements. This means passengers arriving in Austria do not need to show proof of vaccination, a negative Covid test or a certificate of recovery from Covid.

Previously, fully jabbed British residents or citizens could enter Austria if they could prove their vaccination status. 

Those who are unvaccinated had to present a negative PCR test (valid for 72 hours) or a negative antigen test (valid for 24 hours). Check the UK government website for the latest information. 

Is Austria in lockdown?

In November 2021, the Austrian government announced that it would be introducing a partial lockdown for those who were unvaccinated. People who are not fully vaccinated were only allowed to leave home for a limited number of reasons, including to work and buy essential supplies such as food. This lockdown ended from 31 January 2022, after pressure on hospitals eased. 

As of 1 February 2022, Austria was set to become the first European country to enforce vaccination, making it a legal requirement for citizens to get vaccinated. Children under 12 were to be made exempt, as were those who have recently recovered from coronavirus, pregnant women and those who cannot receive the vaccine for medical reasons. Instead, on 8 March 2022, the Austrian government suspended the mandate for at least three months, after finding that the Omicron Covid variant had not caused the steep increase in hospital patients that had been predicted. 

Currently, FFP2 masks are required on public transport and in some public spaces such as banks, supermarkets and petrol stations, while managers of bars, clubs and après-ski locations can choose between requiring that all visitors either wear a mandatory mask, provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid, or show a negative test. It's best to check what the rules are for each venue before you visit. 

Austrian provinces also have the power to set stricter rules than the national government, so check local guidance before you travel.

What are the rules for Brits returning to the UK from Austria?

From 18 March 2022, all Covid travel rules have been dropped in the UK. This means that, regardless of vaccination status, those returning to the UK from Austria no longer need to fill out a passenger locator form, take any tests or quarantine. 

Travelling to Austria: current travel rules, when you need a booster jab - and when you'll need to wear mask

Austria is very popular with winter sports lovers - but it's subject to some of the strictest entry requirements and mask rules in Europe

  • 18:15, 11 FEB 2022

Austria snowscape

Never miss breaking news by signing up to our free email updates

We have more newsletters

The half-term break is nearly here, and many families across the UK will be planning a welcome change of scenery by going on a winter getaway.

Some will be heading off in search of winter warmth and sunshine, while others will want to hit the slopes. If it’s the latter you’re looking for, then Austria is a popular destination for winter sports lovers.

But the chopping and changing of coronavirus rules has left some people uncertain about what’s required of them before they can travel. So what are the current rules in Austria?

READ MORE: Travel rules including PCR testing are changing today in time for half-term holidays

What are the travel rules for Austria?

Austria is currently subject to some of the strictest travel rules in the European Union . The so-called 2-G+ rule (vaccinated or recovered) applies when entering Austria.

To gain entry into Austria, you’ll need to present proof of full vaccination - with an approved vaccine - or recovery from a recent Covid infection, along with proof of a booster jab or a negative PCR test result.

If you had a booster shot 120 days or more after your second Covid vaccine dose, you won’t be required to provide a PCR test. Also, if you’re double jabbed and have recovered from a Covid infection within the last 180 days, you won’t need to do a PCR.

Any PCR tests must be taken no more than 72 hours before arriving in Austria.

Travel restrictions for children going to Austria

Children under the age of 12 do not need proof of vaccination/recovery or a PCR test if they are accompanied by fully vaccinated or recovered adults. However if an accompanying adult has to quarantine, the child must quarantine too and the child can only leave self-isolation at the same time as the adult.

Children aged 12 or over and born on or after 1 September 2006 can use a so-called holiday ninja pass to enter Austria. The pass allows them access to all places which usually would only be open to double vaccinated people (e.g. bars, restaurants) if they take at least two PCR and one lateral flow test during a week-long period and record the results in the Holiday Ninja Pass . The PCR tests are valid for 72 hours, lateral flow test for 48 hours with the PCR test required when entering Austria counting as the first of the three required tests.

For anyone born before 1 September 2006, the adult entry rules apply.

Do you need a booster jab to travel to Austria?

If you’ve had two vaccine doses and can’t provide proof of recovery from a Covid infection within the last 180 days, you’ll need a booster jab or a negative PCR to enter Austria.

Two-dose vaccinations are valid for 270 days after the second dose. There must be at least 14 days between the first and second dose, and 120 days between the second dose and any booster dose.

Arrivals who can’t provide a QR code as proof of having had vaccinations and boosters risk being denied entry by Austrian border control.

When do you need to wear a face mask in Austria?

According to the Austrian government’s travel website , FFP2 face masks are required in all indoor public spaces, including restaurants (except when seated).

FFP2 masks are also mandatory in outdoor spaces when two-metre social distancing is not possible.

You’ll also need to present proof of vaccination or recent recovery from past Covid infection - the 2-G rule - to gain access to most venues in Austria, including hotels and leisure facilities.

Stay abreast of the latest on days out, nights out, shopping and more with our Daily What's On Email updates

  • European Union
  • Most Recent

travel rules uk to austria

Austria entry requirements: Travel restrictions and rules on entering public places to be eased from 5 March

Proof of vaccination, recovery or a recent test will be accepted to enter the country, while a midnight curfews on bars, restaurants and clubs is to be scrapped.

Three kids skiing in the Alps. Kids are enjoying snacks and hot tea at the ski bar. Shot with Nikon D850.

Austria is to loosen its entry requirements from 5 March, from proof of a booster to proof of vaccination, recovery from Covid or a recent negative test.

As well as letting in unvaccinated adults, the new border rules will remove the need for unvaccinated children aged 12 and older to apply for a Ninja Holiday Pass to enter the country.

Currently, the scheme is the only way for unvaccinated teens to enter Austria, offering them a special exemption to test in lieu proof of vaccination.

Most restrictions on everyday life are also to end on 5 March, including scrapping the midnight curfew for bars, restaurants and nightclubs – news which will be welcomed by the hard-hit the tourism and ski industry.

The requirement to wear protective FFP2 masks is to remain in place but only for certain busy areas including public transport, essential shops and pharmacies. 

The loosening of restrictions comes in response to the spread of the milder Omicron variant, with Austria now recording daily new infections below its record peak.

More from Travel

Thailand is the ultimate place for affordable luxury – go before The White Lotus

On Saturday 19 February, unvaccinated people were allowed back to places such as restaurants, ski lifts and non-essential shops if they tested negative.

Austria’s nine provinces are free to decide whether to retain stricter restrictions. The capital, Vienna has regularly chosen to impose stricter rules to the rest of the country throughout the pandemic.

Most Read By Subscribers

Caution October 19, 2023

Worldwide caution, update january 10, 2024, information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.

  • Travel Advisories |
  • Contact Us |
  • MyTravelGov |

Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates

Travel.state.gov, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.

Before You Go

Learn About Your Destination

While Abroad


Share this page:

Travel Advisory July 26, 2023

Austria - level 1: exercise normal precautions.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.

Exercise normal precautions in Austria.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Austria.

If you decide to travel to Austria:

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program  ( STEP ) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Review the  Country Security Report  for Austria.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the  Traveler’s Checklist .

Embassy Messages

View Alerts and Messages Archive

Quick Facts

Six months validity recommended, at least 3 months validity beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area is required.

Two pages required for entry stamp

Not required for stays under 90 days within each 180-day period

For a complete list of recommended vaccinations, please see the CDC country page on Austria.

10,000 Euros or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

Consular Section Parkring 12A (Marriott Hotel Building) 1010 Vienna, Austria Telephone: +43-(0)1-31339-7535 Emergency after-hours telephone: +43-(0)1-31339 Fax: +43-(0)1-5125835 Email:  [email protected]

U.S. Embassy Vienna NOTE: No consular services are provided at the Embassy.

Boltzmanngasse 16 1090 Vienna, Austria Telephone: +43-(0)1-313-390 Email:  [email protected]

Destination Description

Learn about the U.S. relationship to countries around the world.


Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

There are no COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens. 

Prospective residents or anyone intending to  stay longer than 90 days  must obtain the appropriate visa. Visit the  Embassy of Austria’s website  for current  visa information  or the Government of Austria’s  website on migration . Austria collects the fingerprints of all visa applicants.

Students  and prospective students should visit the  Study in Austria  webpage for current information on  student visa requirements. Fulbright students and scholars with questions should contact their respective  program officer .

Traveling Through Europe:  If you are planning to visit or travel through European countries, you should be familiar with the requirements of the Schengen Agreement. 

  • Your passport should be valid for at lea st three months beyond the period of stay  if you plan on transiting a Schengen country review our  U.S. Travelers in Europe page .
  • You may be asked to show proof of s ufficient funds  and a r eturn plane ticket.
  • For additional information about visas for the Schengen area, see the  Schengen Visa page.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Austria.

Find information on  dual nationality ,  prevention of international child abduction , and  customs regulations  on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorism:  Some terrorist groups and those inspired by such organizations are intent on attacking U.S. citizens abroad. Terrorists are increasingly using less sophisticated methods of attack – including knives, firearms, and vehicles – against soft targets, such as:

  • High-profile public events (sporting contests, political rallies, demonstrations, holiday events, celebratory gatherings, etc.)
  • Hotels, clubs, and restaurants frequented by tourists
  • Places of worship
  • Shopping malls and markets
  • Public transportation systems (including subways, buses, trains, and scheduled commercial flights)

Crime:  Austria has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe and violent crime is rare. Crimes of opportunity involving theft of personal property do occur. These crimes frequently occur in tourist areas, including the plaza around St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the nearby pedestrian shopping areas in Vienna’s First District.

  • Beware of  pickpockets  on public transportation and in bus or train stations. Trains between Vienna and Budapest, Prague, or Rome are high-risk.
  • Do not leave bags unattended.
  • Do not carry your passport when sightseeing within Vienna; lock it in your hotel safe or other secure area unless needed for travel. Instead, carry a photocopy of your passport at all times along with a second form of ID such as a U.S. driver’s license.

Demonstrations  are common. They may take place in response to political or economic issues, on politically significant holidays, and during international events. 

  • Demonstrations can be unpredictable, avoid areas around protests and demonstrations. 
  • Past demonstrations have turned violent.
  • Check local media for updates and traffic advisories.

International Financial Scams:  See the  Department of State  and the  FBI  pages for information.

Victims of Crime:  Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime. You can call the police at 133. U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy for assistance at+43-(0)1-313-390. Report crimes to the local police at  133  and contact the U.S. Embassy

See our webpage on  help for U.S. victims of crime overseas .

We may be able to help victims of crime with the following:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Provide general information regarding the victim’s role during the local investigation and following its conclusion
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide our information on  victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence are encouraged to contact the Embassy for assistance.

Tourism:  The tourism industry is regulated and rules are enforced. Hazardous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage and professional staff are typically on hand to support organized activities. In the event of an injury, medical treatment is available throughout the country. Outside of a major cities, it may take first responders and medical professionals longer to stabilize a patient or provide life-saving assistance. U.S. citizens are encouraged to purchase medical evacuation insurance. See our webpage for more  information on insurance providers for overseas coverage .

For further information:

  • Enroll in  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program  ( STEP )   to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. 
  • Call us in Washington at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department's travel website  for  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook . 
  • See  traveling safely abroad  for useful travel tips.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be arrested, imprisoned, or deported. Individuals establishing a business or practicing a profession that requires permits or licensing should seek information from the competent local authorities, prior to practicing or operating a business.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on  crimes against minors abroad  and the  Department of Justice  website.

Arrest Notification:  If you are  arrested or detained , ask police to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our  webpage  for further information.

  • You can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines   for possessing, using, or trafficking in  illegal drugs  in Austria. If you break Austrian laws,  your   U.S. passport won’t help you avoid arrest or prosecution .

Counterfeit and Pirated Goods:  Although counterfeit and pirated goods are prevalent in many countries, they may still be illegal according to local laws.  U.S. Customs and Border Protection may confiscate the items or fine you, if you bring them back to the United States. See the  U.S. Department of Justice website  for more information.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See the following webpages for details:

  • Faith-Based Travel Information
  • International Religious Freedom Report  – see country reports
  • Human Rights Report  – see country reports
  • Hajj Fact Sheet for Travelers
  • Best Practices for Volunteering Abroad

LGBTQI+ Travelers:  There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTQI+ events in Austria. The LGBTQI+ community is well-developed in larger cities, including Vienna, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck, and Salzburg. LGBTQI+ organizations operate freely. While there is some societal prejudice against LGBTQI+ persons, Austria has become more liberal with laws and social opinion concerning sexual orientation and gender identity. Anti-discrimination laws also apply to LGBTQI+ persons. Same sex couples are permitted to marry or enter a legally recognized civil union.

See our LGBTQI+ Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers with Disabilities:  Laws in Austria prohibit discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities, and are enforced. Accessibility is limited in older buildings, including restaurants, cafes, hotels, castles, and other tourist attractions especially outside of major cities. Rentals, repair and replacement parts for wheelchairs, orthopedics, and other equipment are available in major cities. For a list of providers , click here to see City of Vienna’s accessibility website.

Students:  See our  Students Abroad  page and  FBI travel tips .

Women Travelers:  See our travel tips for  women travelers .

Medical facilities and staff are generally excellent and emergency services are available countrywide.

For general emergency services in Austria, dial  112.

To call an ambulance, dial 144 .

Ambulance services are widely available.

Local hospitals will not settle accounts directly with American insurance companies.  You must pay the hospital’s bill and later claim reimbursement from the insurance carrier in the United States.  The Austrian Medicine Import Act prohibits the import of most prescription drugs into Austria. However, non- European Union residents are allowed medicines as part of their personal luggage, but only the quantity required for the period of time you’ll be in the country. Travelers may not receive medicine by mail from abroad while in Austria. If a particular medication is not available in Austria, an Austrian pharmacy may be able to order the medication prescribed by a local physician from a pharmacy in the United States.

We do not pay medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare/Medicaid does not apply overseas. Most hospitals and doctors overseas do not accept U.S. health insurance.

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most health care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our  webpage  for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. Visit the  U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  for more information on the type of insurance you should consider before you travel overseas.

The U.S. Embassy maintains a list of doctors and hospitals on its  website . We do not endorse or recommend any specific medical provider or clinic.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. Check with the  Austrian Ministry for Health  to ensure the medication is legal in Austria.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all  vaccinations  recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

World Health Organization

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  (CDC)

Air Quality:   Visit  AirNow Department of State  for information on air quality at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Health Facilities

  • Austria has world class healthcare facilities throughout the country.
  • Hospitals and doctors often require payment “up front” or adequate health insurance prior to service or admission. Patients who need emergency or life-saving medical treatment will not be turned away for lack of payment or insurance.
  • Patients bear all costs for transfer to or between hospitals.

Medical Tourism and Elective Surgery

  • Medical tourism is a rapidly growing industry. People seeking health care overseas should understand that medical systems operate differently from those in the United States and are not subject to the same rules and regulations. Anyone interested in traveling for medical purposes should consult with their local physician before traveling and visit the  U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  website for more information on Medical Tourism.
  • Visit the  U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  website for information on Medical Tourism, the risks of medical tourism, and what you can do to prepare before traveling to Austria.
  • We strongly recommend  supplemental insurance  to cover medical evacuation in the event of unforeseen medical complications.


  • Many medications that are common in the United States are illegal in Austria, even with a prescription. Austria does not allow the importation of any pharmaceuticals that contain narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances. Obtaining such medications in Austria is either impossible or requires a diagnosis and prescription from an Austrian doctor. Please review the medication rules on the websites of the  Austrian Embassy  in Washington, D.C., and the  Austrian Health Ministry .
  • COVID-19 tests in Austria are widely available at local Apoteken (pharmacies), including rapid and PCR tests. U.S. citizens are responsible for paying for all costs upfront. Results are normally delivered by e-mail, test or you may request a physical copy from the lab.  
  • The COVID-19 vaccine is available free of charge for U.S. citizen residents of Austria and hold valid Austrian healthcare E-cards. U.S. citizen visitors may be required to pay vaccination costs upfront.

Many cities in western Austria are at high altitude. Be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness and take precautions before you travel. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about  Travel to High Altitudes .

Adventure Travel: Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about  Adventure Travel .

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:   Road conditions in Austria are excellent. During the winter, roads in alpine areas may become dangerous due to snow, ice, or avalanches. Some mountain roads may be closed for extended periods. Snow tires or chains may be required in certain provinces or mountain towns. If you are renting a car in winter months and driving to a ski resort, check with your car rental company to ensure your vehicle is properly equipped.

Be alert when you drive through autobahn construction zones, particularly on the A-1 East/West Autobahn. Traffic information  and road conditions are broadcast on the  English-language channel, FM4 (frequency depends on location). Traffic information is posted on digital signs, and trackable in popular mobile apps. Emergency roadside help and information may be reached by dialing  123  or  120  for vehicle assistance and towing services (Austrian automobile clubs),  122  for the fire department,  133  for police, and  144  for ambulance. The European emergency line is  112 .

Traffic Laws : Please see Austria’s  travel webpage  for detailed information related to driving. Below are key laws to consider:

  • Penalties for  driving under the influence  are stricter than in many U.S. states.
  • Display an “ autobahn vignette ” highway-tax sticker  on the inside of the vehicle’s windshield. The fine for failing to display a valid sticker is EUR 120 ($150 USD), paid in cash “on the spot.”
  • The  maximum speed  limit is 130 km/hr (81mph) on the Austrian autobahns.
  • It is  against the law  to use a  hand-held cell  phone while driving.
  • It is  against the law  to turn  right on red .
  • It is  mandatory  for cars on Austrian motorways to pull over when an emergency vehicle is approaching. On two-lane roads or larger, vehicles pull over to either far left or far right to create an emergency corridor down the center.  
  • You could be issued a substantial fine  for not usin  winter tires  on your vehicle between November 1 and April 15, depending where you are driving. Your car  insurance is void  if you are in an accident, and your vehicle does not havewinter tires.
  • Read your rental contract closely.You may be  arrested, fined , and/or charged with attempted auto theft if you try to drive a rental car in countries listed as “prohibited” on the car rental contract.
  • A U.S. driver's license  alone is  not sufficient to drive in Austria.  A U.S. driver's license must be accompanied by an international driving permit or by an official translation of the U.S. driver's license, which can be obtained in the United States at AAA, or at one of the Austrian automobile clubs (ÖAMTC or ARBÖ). U.S. citizens who intend to take up residence in Austria must obtain an Austrian driver’s license after six months of arriving.

Public Transportation:  Austrian Federal Railways ( Österreichische Bundesbahnen ) offers train service to all major towns in Austria and major cities in Europe. There is also an extensive network of Österreichische Post  bus lines . All major cities have excellent public transportation systems. Click  here  for Vienna’s public transportation website.

See our  road safety page  for more information. Visit the website of Austria’s  national tourist office  and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight:   The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Austria’s Civil Aviation Authority as compliant with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Austria’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the  FAA’s safety assessment page .

For additional travel information

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department’s travel website  for the  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook .

Austria was cited in the State Department’s 2022 Annual Report to Congress on International Child Abduction for demonstrating a pattern of non-compliance with respect to international parental child abduction. Review information about International Parental Child Abduction in  Austria.  For additional IPCA-related information, please see the  International Child Abduction Prevention and Return Act ( ICAPRA )  report.

Travel Advisory Levels

Assistance for u.s. citizens, austria map, learn about your destination, enroll in step.

Enroll in STEP

Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad.

Recommended Web Browsers: Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Check passport expiration dates carefully for all travelers! Children’s passports are issued for 5 years, adult passports for 10 years.


Antigua and Barbuda

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Bosnia and Herzegovina

British Virgin Islands

Burkina Faso

Burma (Myanmar)

Cayman Islands

Central African Republic

Cote d Ivoire


Czech Republic

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eswatini (Swaziland)

Falkland Islands

France (includes Monaco)

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French West Indies

Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)


Isle of Man

Israel, The West Bank and Gaza


Marshall Islands


New Caledonia

New Zealand

North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

Papua New Guinea


Republic of North Macedonia

Republic of the Congo

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

Sint Maarten

Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Korea

South Sudan


The Bahamas


Trinidad and Tobago


Turks and Caicos Islands

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

External Link

You are about to leave travel.state.gov for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.

Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on travel.state.gov, click the "cancel" message.

You are about to visit:

travel rules uk to austria

All You Need to Know About Entering Austria from the UK

Recently, at the Austrian Innsbruck Airport, 110 British people were refused entrance because they did not comply with Austrian authorities’ new travel requirements, enacted on December 25, 2021.

Travellers from the United Kingdom are now required to quarantine for ten days upon arrival in Austria, with some exceptions. Apply for Austrian visa from UK and make sure you’re up to date on the newest entry requirements for Austria before planning your next trip.

Entry requirements for Austria

Travellers from the United Kingdom can enter Austria without quarantine if they are either triple vaccinated (with the third vaccination done at least 120 days after the second; or double vaccinated following recovery from COVID (where the first vaccination was at least 21 days after a positive test or antibodies); or double vaccinated following recovery from COVID (where the first vaccination was at least 21 days after a positive test or antibodies). Additionally, travellers from the United Kingdom will need to provide a negative PCR test that is no older than 48 hours at the time of arrival.

Citizens of Austria, members of the EU/EEA, and persons having legal authorisation to live in Austria, as well as those with urgent family needs and those whose presence is regarded to be in the country’s best interests, are exempt from this rule. Within 180 days of arriving in Austria, these travellers need to be vaccinated entirely or have recovered from COVID within the last 72 hours and complete a pre-travel clearance form not more than 72 hours before arrival. Upon arrival, they must also undergo a ten-day quarantine period. If a second PCR test shows a negative result, the quarantine might be reduced as early as the fifth day.

Learn more about Austria’s recent COVID measure .

Vaccination period

For the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine, proof of a booster vaccination must be provided no later than 270 days before your arrival. You must demonstrate that you got the second injection no more than 270 days before arrival for double-shot vaccines (e.g., AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna). If you got a booster shot more than 120 days after being completely immunised, it couldn’t have been more than 270 days before your trip.

COVID-19 Status

Austria will accept proof of COVID-19 recovery and immunisation record from the United Kingdom, as well as proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. In case you are travelling with a printed PDF evidence of vaccination status, it must be dated after November 1, 2021, to be scanned correctly. Austrian immigration officers will require QR codes, such as those issued by the UK COVID Pass, as proof of vaccines and boosters and have refused entrance to anyone who does not have this proof. Your NHS appointment card from the vaccination centre is not intended to serve as confirmation of complete immunisation.

At the time of entrance, the negative molecular biological test (PCR, LAMP, TMA) cannot be older than 48 hours.

Entry requirements for children

Children under the age of 12 do not need to present a test result if they travel with an adult. If the accompanying adult is required to self-isolate, the child must do the same. The child and the adult can then exit their respective states of self-isolation at the same moment. The same rules apply to children who are travelling alone. Children aged 12 to 15 who are not fully vaccinated can use a “Holiday Ninja Pass” to enter ski-resort venues.

Austria has just launched a “Holiday Ninja Pass” for young people of school age (ages 12-15) from Austria and abroad who have not yet been fully vaccinated or cannot demonstrate recovery from Covid.

If they can present two negative PCR test results until day five of their stay in Austria, they can have officially recognised “2-G” status (Austria’s shorthand term for fully vaccinated or recovered from COVID) for seven days. Entry to public spaces and venues like restaurants and ski lifts will be granted due to the classification.

Teenagers ages 15 and above who arrive from the UK will not be eligible to participate in the program since Austria has designated the UK the highest risk “virus variant” location.

There is no absolute travel restriction in Austria. However, the new regulations still throw thousands of Brits’ holiday travel plans into chaos over the primary Holiday season for the ski sector, which was keen for a return to more normalcy following last winter’s loss by the pandemic.

About Author

' src=

Related Posts

Wizz Air

How to escalate your Wizz Air compensation claim if unsatisfied?

travel rules uk to austria

9 best things to do in Charlotte to spend your holidays

travel rules uk to austria

Understanding single trip travel insurance: a comprehensive guide

Pingback: All You Need to Know About Entering Austria from the UK Trending News & More – Latest News

Leave A Comment Cancel Reply

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Cookies on GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.

We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.

We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.

You have accepted additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

You have rejected additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

travel rules uk to austria

  • Passports, travel and living abroad
  • Travel abroad

Travelling to the EU and Schengen area

You do not need a visa for short trips to the EU or countries in the Schengen area if both of the following apply:

  • you’re staying for 90 days or less in a 180-day period
  • you’re visiting as a tourist or for certain other reasons

Other reasons include:

  • studying a short course
  • getting medical treatment
  • travelling for business for your UK employer, for example to attend a business meeting or conference
  • journalism or other media activities

Check the entry requirements of the country you’re visiting to find out what you can and cannot do during your stay.

These rules do not apply to travelling and working in Ireland .

Travelling to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period

You can travel to more than one country in a 180-day period. How long you can stay in each country depends on whether or not it’s in the Schengen area.

The countries in the Schengen area are:

Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Your total stay in the Schengen area must be no more than 90 days in every 180 days. It does not matter how many countries you visit. The 180-day period keeps ‘rolling’.

To work out if your stay is within the 90 day limit, use the following steps.

Check the date you plan to leave the Schengen area on your next trip.

Count back 180 days from that date to get the start of the 180-day period.

Add up the number of days you have already spent in the Schengen area in that 180-day period (you can use the dates stamped in your passport showing when you entered and left a country).

Work out how many days you will spend in the Schengen area on your next trip. Add this number to the number of days you worked out in step 3.

Check that the total number of days is not more than 90.

Travelling to EU countries that are not in the Schengen area

Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania are not in the Schengen area. You can stay up to 90 days in a 180-day period in each of these countries without a visa.

Any time you spend in the Schengen area does not affect the number of days you can spend in these countries.

When you may need a visa

​​You may need a visa or permit if you want to either:

  • stay for more than 90 days

If you’re travelling for work, check the rules for the country you’re visiting .

If you’re travelling for another reason or staying longer than 90 days, check the entry requirements for the country you’re visiting .

Related content

Is this page useful.

  • Yes this page is useful
  • No this page is not useful

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.

To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


You browser this site using Internet Explorer 8 or lower. In order to view the website correctly, install the latest version of Internet Explorer or any other equivalent browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari).

Do I Need a Visa?

Citizens of countries listed here need a visa for austria.

All holders of Travel Documents (black and blue) and Certificates of Identity (CID), i.e. issued by Great Britain NEED to obtain a visa to travel to Austria!

Processing time approximately 2 weeks :

Angola Armenia Bahrain Belarus Belize Benin Bhutan Bolivia Botswana Burkina Faso Burundi China Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde Central African Republic Chad Comoros Cuba Djibouti Ecuador Equatorial Guinea Fiji Gabon Gambia Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti India Ivory Coast Jamaica Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Laos Lesotho Madagascar Malawi Maldives Marshall Islands Micronesia Mongolia Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Oman Papua New Guinea Philippines Qatar Russia Solomon Islands Sao Tomé and Principe Senegal Sierra Leone South Africa Surinam Swaziland Tanzania Thailand Turkey Uganda Zambia Zimbabwe

Processing time approximately 3 weeks :

Afghanistan Algeria Azerbaijan Bangladesh Democratic Republic of Congo Republic of the Congo Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Egypt Eritrea Ethiopia Ghana Indonesia Iraq Iran Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kyrgyzstan Lebanon Libya Liberia Mali Mauritania Morocco Niger Nigeria Pakistan Palestine 'Refugee' (blue and black travel document) Ruanda Saudi Arabia Somalia Sri Lanka Sudan (North Sudan), South Sudan Syria Tajikistan Togo Tunisia Turkmenistan United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen

Citizens of countries listed here DO NOT need a visa for Austria

- if your stay does not exceed 90 days and is for tourist purposes only.

Albania (biometric passports only) Andorra Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Australia Bahamas Barbados Bosnia-Herzegovina (biometric passports only) Brazil British 'European Community' passport issued in or after July 1988 British 'Isle of Man', 'Jersey', 'Guernsey and its dependencies' passport British Subject passport British Overseas Territories citizen passport British National Overseas (BNO) passport British Protected Persons passport British Overseas Citizens passport Brunei Chile Costa Rica Canada Colombia Croatia Dominica El Salvador Georgia Grenada Guatemala Honduras Hong Kong (SAR only) Israel Japan Macao (RAE only) Malaysia Mauritius Macedonia (biometric passports only) Mexico Moldavia Monaco Montenegro (biometric passports only) New Zealand Nicaragua Palau Panama Paraguay Peru Samoa Serbia (biometric passports only and NOT issued by Koordinacija Uprava) Seychelles Singapore South Korea St. Christophe and Nevis St. Lucia St. Vincent and Grenadines Taiwan (all passports if they contain the holder's identity number) Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Ukraine (biometric passports only) Uruguay United States of America Venezuela Vatican 

Holders of an EEA (EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Swiss passport do not require a visa. Nationals from EU-countries as well as Switzerland and Liechtenstein may stay for an unlimited time.

Holders of British Passports don’t need a visa for touristic travel, visiting friends & family or business travel (without gainful work in Austria) for up to 90 days in the Schengen area within a rolling 180-days-period.

Spouse / dependant / civil partner of non Austrian EU/EEA/Swiss national exercising their right of free movement:

Please note, that the British “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” or “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” or “Permanent Residence Card according to EU Directive 2004/38/EC” (see 'Downloads': Residence Documentation ) does no longer qualify for visa free travel after the end of the Transition period (31 Dec 2020). If you intend to travel on your own, you must apply for a regular Schengen visa and regular visa fees will apply. If you are travelling with your non Austrian EU/EEA/Swiss family member, the visa will be given free of charge and without any documentation needed apart from the travel plans of you and the non Austrian EU-family member and the document, that states the family membership (birth certificate, marriage certificate).

For additional information regarding EU Directive 2004/38, family members of EU/EEA/Swiss National, please see 'Related links': Visa policy - where and how to apply . 

General processing time for a visa application which is admissible will be approximately 15 days. For third country nations subject to prior consultation, it will take at least 15 days. The processing time for applications of Family Members of non Austrian EU/EEA/Swiss nationals is based on an accelerated procedure.

The processing time may be extended in individual cases up to a maximum of 30 calendar days and/or in specific cases up to a maximum of 60 days, when further documentation/examination of the application is needed. Further Information please see 'Related links': Visa policy - prior consultation .

Related links

  • Web: Visa policy ec.europa.eu
  • Web: Visa policy - where and how to apply ec.europa.eu
  • Web: Visa policy - prior consultation ec.europa.eu
  • PDF:  Residence Documentation 225 KB

Welcome to the Holiday Information Service

Our holiday experts are here to assist you with your holiday planning. Send us a message and we will get back you as soon as we can.

Please fill in fields marked with *

Give us a call Monday to Friday from 8am to noon. Outside of our office hours please drop us an email and we'll be happy to answer your questions.

Telephone: 00800 400 200 00 Österreich Werbung Vordere Zollamtsstraße 13 A-1030 Wien Wien AT

[email protected]

*toll-free; calls from mobile networks may incur charges

  • Service and Facts
  • Getting There and Around

Austria by Road

Austria has a well-developed road network which lets you reach your destination with ease. Find all pertinent information about rules of the road and answers to frequently asked questions.

Useful Links

  • “Vignette” toll sticker
  • Current traffic information
  • Austrian driving rules in detail
  • Electric filling stations in Austria

Getting to Austria by Car

Since there are fast and well-maintained motorways throughout Central Europe, getting to Austria by car is simple.

An excellent motorway, highway, and federal road network connects Austria with its neighbouring countries. All main border check points are open day and night. In general, Austrian traffic regulations and traffic signals are similar to those enforced in other European countries.

It is approximately 1,035 km (647 mi) from the UK to the Austrian border, and the drive takes between 10 and 11 hours.

Please be aware that you need a “vignette” toll sticker to drive on Austria’s motorways and expressways. It is available at the border, at petrol stations, or online. Learn more about the toll sticker here .

  • Speed Limits
  • Driving Licence
  • Drink Driving
  • Visibility vests
  • Petrol stations
  • Mobile phone usage
  • Winter requirements
  • "Rettungsgasse" - emergency corridor

FAQs About Driving in Austria

1) what are the speed limits on austrian roads.

Under optimal traffic conditions and if not otherwise indicated, the following maximum speed limits apply in Austria for cars and motorbikes:

  • Within town limits: 50 km/h (approx. 31 mph)
  • On the open road: 100 km/h (approx. 62 mph)
  • On expressways: 100 km/h (approx. 62 mph)
  • On motorways: 130 km/h (approx. 80 mph)

Find more information on speed limits here .

International Drivers License ÖAMTC media_content.tooltip.skipped

2) Is my driving licence valid in Austria?

Only persons over 18 years (17 years under certain conditions) of age in possession of a valid driving licence are allowed to drive in Austria. When driving in Austria, you should always carry  a full valid licence, car ownership documents, and insurance details.

Driving licences from EU and EEA countries are generally valid for an unlimited time in Austria.

If your licence has been issued by a non-EU or non-EEA state, it’s generally valid for twelve months following the entry date. You should always carry an international driving licence (available at the post office or AAA) in addition to your licence.

3) Do I have to turn on my headlights?

Driving with your lights on is optional during daylight hours and compulsory at night. You will be stopped by the police and possibly fined if you do not comply with this.

4) What are the rules on drinking & driving?

The legal blood alcohol concentration (drinking & driving) limit in Austria is 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood – stricter than the UK und US where the limit is 0.8. Penalties for driving under the influence are severe any may include the loss of you driving licence. Also keep in mind if you planning to cross into neighboring countries their rules and regulations might be different.

5) Do I have to wear my seatbelt?

In Austria, wearing seatbelts is compulsory for all passengers. The driver is responsible for passengers under the age of 14.

If you are traveling with children under the age of 14 years we suggest to either bring or rent a child seat.

6) What do I have to consider when driving my motorbike in Austria?

When driving two-wheeled vehicles, it is compulsory to wear a helmet. While driving, the dimmed headlight must be turned on even during the day. Toll stickers are compulsory.

7) What do I need to have with me when driving in Austria?

High visibility warning vests are required for all drivers. They need to be stored within reach of the driver and must be worn day or night when exiting the vehicle on the hard shoulder or in the event of a breakdown. You must also have a first-aid kit and a warning triangle in your car in case you break down. 

8) What type of petrol is available in Austria?

In Austria, unleaded regular-grade 91 octane petrol as well as Euro-Super (unleaded 95-octane) petrol are available at all petrol stations. The sale of leaded petrol is forbidden in Austria; for cars without a catalytic converter an additive is available at gas stations.

9) Can I use my mobile phone whilst driving?

Whilst driving, you are  not allowed to talk on a mobile phone unless you’re using a hands-free car kit. You can use your phone as a navigational system (provided the mobile phone is fastened in the car).

10) What do I have to consider when driving in winter?

Between 1 November and 15 April, drivers of private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5t must be suitably equipped for winter conditions. This means that drivers using the roads in wintry conditions during this period must have winter tyres fitted .

Find more information here . 

11) What should I do in case of a breakdown or accident?

Traffic accidents involving injuries must immediately be reported to the police; accidents involving material damage must only be reported when mutual identity has not been established.

There are two major breakdown assistance services in Austria (similar to the AA in the UK or the AAA in the US): ÖAMTC and ARBÖ. Both operate a 24-hour emergency breakdown service, which may be utilized by anyone. Non-members must pay a fee.

12) What is the “Rettungsgasse” / emergency corridor?

Whilst driving on Austria’s roads, you might notice signs proscribing the so-called Rettungsgasse (emergency corridor). This is a clear lane for emergency vehicles that has to be formed right away in case of traffic jams.

On carriageways with two lanes, a lane for emergency vehicles must be cleared between the two existing lanes; on carriageways with more than two lanes it must be cleared between the far-left lane and the lane next to it. This means that all drivers of vehicles in the far-left lane are required to steer their vehicle as far to the left as possible. All other drivers must drive as far to the right as is necessary for clearing a lane for emergency vehicles. 

Find more information here .

Emergency Numbers

Doctor-on-call 141

Mountain rescue 140

ÖAMTC emergency breakdown service 120

ARBÖ emergency breakdown service 123

European emergency number 112

Fire brigade 122

Ambulance 144

The Vignette - Austria's Motorway Toll Sticker

All Austrian motorways (“Autobahn”) and expressways (“S” roads) are subject to toll. Find out where to get and how to display your vignette toll sticker here.

Moving from the UK to Austria

What do I need to consider when moving my main residence from the UK to Austria?

What follows is an overview of the things that you need to consider when moving your main residence from the UK to Austria. The information has been put together from personal experience and feedback in our Facebook groups.

Residence Permit

Unless you are Austrian you will need a residence permit to live in Austria. If you have a second nationality from an EU Member State, you may wish to consider using that nationality for establishing residence in Austria.

If you only have British Citizenship, then in the majority of cases you will first need an Austrian employer. For those looking to retire here, there are now strict annual quotas.

Tell UK Authorities & Government Bodies

When moving abroad you need to inform the relevant UK authorities. This includes:

  • Local Council
  • Student Loans
  • Child Benefit Office

After arrival, don’t forget to register on the Overseas Voters Register too!

Note: It is a lot easier to sign up to HMRC Online Services whilst you are in the UK.

Customs Formalities

As the UK is no longer in the EU (Brexit), customs formalities will need to be followed when bringing items into Austria. There is a 12-month exemption on duty and tax on personal belongings when moving your main residence, but after that date, no such exemption applies! Paperwork still needs to be completed though (see link below).

Note: Different rules may apply for those coming from Northern Ireland.

Legal Considerations

Acro police certificate.

In some cases, an ACRO Police Certificate   may be required for a Visa/residence permit; in addition some employers may also require it. It proves you are a good upstanding citizen! Be aware that this certificate only has a limited validity.

Lasting Power of Attorney

It may be worth setting up a lasting power of attorney in the UK before you leave. This is especially important if you have elderly relatives as setting it up from Austria is likely to be more difficult. Scotland does appear to recognise a foreign Lasting Power of Attorney however England and Wales and Northern Ireland do not.

Legalising Documents

It may be worth legalising a number of documents before you leave. This is sometimes called getting an apostille certificate. This is useful for such things as birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. It is also worth getting certified copies of these documents. The UK Government offers a legalisation service.


We have produced a seperate article covering Legal Support and Advice . Newcomers to Austria are recommended to take out Legal Protection Insurance (Rechtsschutzversicherung) as you never know when you will need it and once an issue happens it is too late to take it out afterwards!

Healthcare in Austria is insurance based, if you are not working you will need to take out health Sozialministerium The Austrian Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is responsible for the following fields: The health care system Initiatives for people with disabilities Consumer protection Public health and medical issues Care and support The rights of consumers and the protection of their health Senior citizens’ policy Social policy Social insurance insurance (OeGK Self Insurance in 2024  is EUR  495,58 per month).

The NHS in the UK is residence based, so please remember that if you are no longer resident in the UK, you are no longer entitled to NHS care in the UK. Since 1 st January 2021 this also applies to those in receipt of a UK S1. Your UK EHIC/GHIC card may also no longer valid and it will take you 12 months to get an Austrian one.

Before you depart, you would be advised to contact your UK GP practice to inform them you are leaving. You should get a Summary Record from them of all your prescription medicines and ideally your vaccination record (especially COVID vaccinations). Your medical record is increasingly being made online by the NHS and you should investigate gaining access to this. Any detailed consultant notes should also be requested.

There’s further advice below from the NHS about moving abroad.

As Austrian healthcare is insurance based, you may also be advised to make sure your UK national insurance record is up to date ( check national insurance record ). If you are not working, OeGK (state healthcare provider)  may want proof of UK NI contributions ( CA3916 ) and a letter to say the NHS is no longer responsible for your care ( Legislation Letter ). Be advised that it may take many months to get CA3916, sometimes OeGK accept the abbreviated online summary. It is also probably worthwhile ticking the box for U1 at the same time when requesting CA3916.

Registering with an Austrian GP is a good idea (you will need insurance first) especially if you are on prescription medicines. You should also take the opportunity to get your Covid vaccinations recorded on the Austrian Impfpass system (you will need an e-card for this).

When in Austria it is also advisable to book a “Vorsorgeuntersuchung” (preventative check-up) with your GP which you can get annually. It is a lot more thorough than the usual UK one which is offered to over 50s.

There’s more information on this link about what health insurance policies are approved for residency purposes.

Austrian dentists are expensive, if you need dental treatment consider getting it done in the UK before you leave. Some Austrian residents seek treatment in the neighbouring EU countries.

Opticians & Glasses

Opticians and glasses are expensive in Austria so you would be advised to see a UK optician and get some spare pairs of glasses before leaving.

Either way a copy of your prescription would be useful.

Over the counter medicines

Some medicines which are readily available in supermarkets in the UK such as paracetamol, ibuprofen and antihistamine are only available in pharmacists in Austria and are considerably more expensive. It is worth stocking up before you leave. Special care does need to be taken when bringing prescriptions medicines into Austria.

Learning the language

The official language of Austria is German and while some parts of the public administration may provide information in English as a courtesy, it cannot be assumed that all civil servants will have a firm grasp of English, or may choose not to speak English for official appointments. Many official communications will only be available in German, although there might be English information on oesterreich.gv.at – the Austrian equivalent of gov.uk.

Particularly in rural communities, speaking some German will be distinctly advantageous – although some neighbours may prefer to practice their English with you! If you don’t speak or understand German, machine translation may be helpful to obtain a gist of the meaning. ( Further information about the issue of translation can be found here ).

Check out courses and language learning apps for obtaining some basic survival German when you start considering moving to Austria.

Don’t forget to set up Royal Mail re-direct on your post. You will need this for both personal and business purposes. Royal Mail will re-direct to a UK address or an Austrian address (extra cost). International Business mail re-direction is expensive!

In addition advise your UK relatives of the new rules regarding posting gifts and care packages to Austria.

It is unlikely you will be given a school place until you are resident with a Meldezettel Meldezettel Austria requires everyone living in Austria (both Austrians and foreigners) to register their place(s) of residence with the local authorities. The confirmation of this registration is called a Meldebestätigung (EN: confirmation of registration), although it is still affectionately known to many by its former name (the Meldezettel). This is done at your Meldeamt in the Gemeinde or Bezirk you live in. You are required to do your registration within three days of arrival. It is important to do this also because your qualification for permanent residence starts to run from the point of your registration. .

This Guide from the English Speakers in Austria team might be useful.

TV in Austria

TV in Austria is predominantly in German. It would be advisable to buy an Amazon Firestick, Chromecast with Google TV or a similar device in the UK and download all the appropriate apps before departing (e.g. iPlayer, ITV X, All 4, NOWTV, etc). A suitable VPN may be required in Austria. UK to EU Power converters will be required in Austria.

From 1st January 2024 the GIS licence fee has now been replaced by the ORF Beitrag (ORF Contribution). Every main residence now needs to pay, regardless of whether they have a TV or not . Costs are province specific, are a lot more expensive than the UK TV licence fee and it is strictly enforced.

Note: Some services such as Sky/Sky-X, Amazon Prime DE do have dual language on some programmes but they do not have the full UK selection; this is especially true on Sport.

UK Banks & Other Financial Institutions

If you want to maintain a UK bank account, please check with them that they are happy to support you in Austria.  Some UK banks have been closing accounts of customers based in Austria and you will also find it very difficult to open a new UK bank account when resident in Austria.

The Banks that seem OK are (Lloyds, Nationwide, HSBC, Santander, RBS, Clydesdale/Virgin). Wise and Revolut are also OK, but they are not currently registered as UK banks (no FSCS compensation) but they do offer competitive rates on currency conversion.

Banks that are known to have issues are Barclays, Natwest, Starling, Chase. Some other financial institutions such as Barclays stockbrokers have also been closing accounts. Please allow lots of time and check with all your financial institutions BEFORE you leave.

Note: At some point your UK Financial institutions will also want your Austrian tax identification number. This is available from Finanzonline (you need to register) and is your Steuernummer (TIN) and is likely to be of the format NN NNN/NNN.

UK Foodstuff

Some items are easier to get in the UK than in Austria. This could include British tea brands (especially decaf), certain spices, flavoured crisps. It is good to bring some home comforts with you, but importing meat and/or dairy products is illegal.

UK Mobile & Roaming

If you plan to use a UK mobile for a long period in Austria, check that EU roaming is included in your tariff. Virgin Mobile/O2 customers should be OK as well as Giffgaff/Tesco Mobile but you may be subject to fair usage caps. However, some of the others may be problematic and you may want to look at switching beforehand.

Tip: A mobile in Austria is called a Handy!

Qualifications from the UK

Do not assume that your UK degree and UK professional qualifications will be automatically recognised in Austria. Following Brexit , things are now a lot more complex as the EU Directive on the recognition of professional qualifications, no longer applies and you may need to get your qualifications validated as equivalent. More details on the Competency Assessment are on the Working in Austria site.

In addition, there is currently no obligation on EU countries to admit British Nationals to mandatory training courses required for certain professions. In 2023 there was (and still is) an issue with the mandatory CTT (Common Training Test) required for Ski Instructors in Austria.

Self Employment

Self Employment in Austria is a LOT more highly regulated than the UK with different categories, (Neue Selbständige, Freie/ Reglementierte Gewerbe, Freiberufle, Freie Dienstnehmer) with different requirements and potentially different licensing requirements. Just because you have a business licence to carry out one activity, doesn’t mean you can carry out another type of activity. There is more detail on the Self Employed in Austria site

Residency permits specifically for Self Employed Activities can also be highly restrictive with conditions see here for more details.

In addition please check before carrying out any form of “freelance” activity.

Unemployment Benefits

You will not be able to claim unemployment benefits in Austria unless you can prove you have previously paid Insurance contributions for a minimum period. You can use UK NI contributions to help you qualify and you will need form U1 from the UK to do that.

The advice from the HMRC Community forum is that:

“ You can get a statement of your National Insurance contributions here: Get a statement of your National Insurance contributions (CA3916) When you complete the CA3916 form, you should tick the box to say you want a U1 Statement. You should also answer ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you applying for a statement of NI contributions to claim unemployment benefit abroad?’”

EU Nationals

For EU nationals moving from the UK you need to be aware of the absence rules related to the UK’s EU Settlement Scheme EUSS The EU Settlement Scheme is the scheme under which citizens of EU Member States as well as citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are able to apply to continue living in the UK following the UK's leaving the European Union. (UK implementation of Withdrawal Agreement Withdrawal Agreement The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the  UK ’s withdrawal from the  EU  and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. It sets out a transition period which lasts until 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to live, work and study in the  EU  broadly as you did before 31 January 2020.   If you are resident in Austria at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Austria.   Any rights that are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will be the subject of future negotiations.   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-withdrawal-agreement-and-political-declaration   ); especially those with pre-settled status. The 3Million is a useful source of information. In addition, please ensure the UK Home Office always has your up to date passport information.

Just be aware that most of the family re-unification rules only apply to minors (children under 18). In most cases, once a child reaches 18, they will come under the adult rules and need to appy independently of the parents (e.g. Student Residence Permit, Sponsored Employment).

It is important to note that the rules around pet ownership in Austria may differ from the UK. In particular, a lot of the laws are provincial. Some provinces (e.g. Lower Austria ) actually require the dog owners to attend mandatory courses and dog muzzles are mandatory public transport (exception assistance dogs). There is a good overview on this guide .

When you arrive in Austria…

When in Austria you must regis ter with your Meldezettel within 3 days of your formal arrival. Be careful booking touristic accommodation such as Airbnb as not every property allows you to register for a Meldezettel and this may cause you issues (e.g. delays with residence permits)

Warning: Avoid a very, very expensive error by familiarising yourself with the Austrian Church Tax BEFORE registering any religious affiliations.

  • A UK vehicle needs to be registered within 1 month of arrival.
  • UK driving licences must be exchanged within 6 months of arrival and you will need a medical . You may need additional tests for certain categories (eg.. HGV, PSV).

You DO NOT need to register with the UK Embassy in Vienna.

Useful Links

Moving to/living in austria.

  • Free Advice Services
  • FCDO Living in Austria
  • BMF Transferring place of residence from a non-EU country
  • .GOV.UK Moving or Retiring Abroad
  • NHS Planning Your Healthcare Abroad
  • Child Benefit if you leave the UK

Comparison Portals

  • Durchblicker
  • Bankenrechner
  • EU travelling with meat and Dairy Products
  • Bringing Medicines to Austria
  • Austria Foreign Driving Licences Conversion
  • Austria Driving with Foreign Number Plates
  • Motorway Toll Sticker
  • Importing a vehicle to Austria

Mobiles & Internet

  • Internet Access Guide
  • Austrian Mobile/Handy Guide
  • .GOV.UK Get a Document Legalised
  • Royal Mail Re-direction

Finding Accommodation and getting around

  • Willhaben (Accommodation)
  • VOR AnachB Transport App
  • Property Buying Overview


  • DeepL Translator
  • Pensions Guide

Last Update

Was this content useful?

Privacy overview.

We've detected unusual activity from your computer network

To continue, please click the box below to let us know you're not a robot.

Why did this happen?

Please make sure your browser supports JavaScript and cookies and that you are not blocking them from loading. For more information you can review our Terms of Service and Cookie Policy .

For inquiries related to this message please contact our support team and provide the reference ID below.

  • Sustainability
  • Latest News
  • News Reports
  • Documentaries & Shows
  • TV Schedule
  • CNA938 Live
  • Radio Schedule
  • Singapore Parliament
  • Mental Health
  • Interactives
  • Entertainment
  • Style & Beauty
  • Experiences
  • Remarkable Living
  • Send us a news tip
  • Events & Partnerships
  • Business Blueprint
  • Health Matters
  • The Asian Traveller

Trending Topics

Follow our news, recent searches, horner hits back at critics of red bull's two-team ownership, advertisement.

This audio is AI-generated.

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner hit back on Thursday at McLaren's Zak Brown for questioning the energy drink company's ownership of two Formula One teams and their close ties.

Brown has been urging the governing FIA to reconsider the rules that have allowed what he has called an A and B team collaboration.

Champions Red Bull won 21 of 22 races last season and closer co-operation with Visa Cash App RB, eighth in 2023 as AlphaTauri, could see the sister team become far more competitive.

Brown, in an FIA press conference at pre-season testing, said he did not know of any other sport that allowed co-ownership of two teams competing against each other.

Horner, who is fighting for his own future in the face of allegations from a female employee about his conduct which he denies, reminded reporters in the same conference that Red Bull also owned two soccer clubs in the Champions League.

Austria's RB Salzburg and Germany's RB Leipzig both reached the group stages of this year's elite European club competition with the latter in the last 16.

Horner recalled also how late Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz saved Minardi from collapse in 2005, renaming it Toro Rosso, and how Red Bull stayed when manufacturers left and supported the sport through the COVID pandemic.

He said Red Bull should be applauded for that rather than "derided"'.

"The two teams are totally separate. One is based in Italy, one is based in the UK. The one that is based in Italy has a far larger turnover of staff that end up in Maranello than end up in Milton Keynes," he added, alluding to Ferrari and Red Bull.

Horner said the relationship between the Red Bull teams was "far less tight" than some others with their engine manufacturers.

"We expect them to be a competitor, not just of the rest of the field but of Red Bull Racing," he added. "There are no pre-set rules, no agreements between the teams.

"I don't understand the noise that's being created about it ... for me it really is a non-issue."

Brown added in the same FIA press conference that, while Red Bull were 'playing by the rules', the sport was continuing to evolve with a budget cap in place and should aim for 10 independent teams.

"If the intent of the cap is to have an equal playing field ... then the way the rules are currently written aren't the same for everyone," he said. "We now need to address it and the FIA needs to address it to the rules."

Also worth reading

This browser is no longer supported.

We know it's a hassle to switch browsers but we want your experience with CNA to be fast, secure and the best it can possibly be.

To continue, upgrade to a supported browser or, for the finest experience, download the mobile app.

Upgraded but still having issues? Contact us


  1. Austria travel restrictions in full: Can I travel to Austria from the

    travel rules uk to austria

  2. UK to 'ease travel rules,' Austria outbreak lawsuit: COVID-19 Bulletin

    travel rules uk to austria

  3. Can I travel to Austria from the UK? Entry requirements explained as

    travel rules uk to austria

  4. Driving in Austria

    travel rules uk to austria

  5. Austria travel restrictions in full: Can I travel to Austria from the

    travel rules uk to austria

  6. Driving in Austria

    travel rules uk to austria


  1. UK- Ireland Travel


  1. Austria travel advice

    16 February 2024 Updated: 18 October 2023 Latest update: Information on the risk of terrorism in Austria ('Safety and security' page). The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office ( FCDO)...

  2. Brexit and Travelling to Austria

    As a UK national, you will not need a visa to travel to Austria for a holiday (up to 90 days in any 180-day period). UK nationals do not need a visa for short-term holidays (up to 90 days in any 180-day period) at least until the end of 2023.

  3. Travelling to Austria

    Getting married abroad Requirements, paperwork and processes for weddings and civil partnerships overseas - registration, restrictions, fees Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU, Iceland,...

  4. Travel to Austria: Entry requirements and lockdown rules explained

    What are the rules for Brits returning to the UK from Austria? From 18 March 2022, all Covid travel rules have been dropped in the UK. This means that, regardless of vaccination status, those returning to the UK from Austria no longer need to fill out a passenger locator form, take any tests or quarantine.

  5. Austria

    Austria - Covid travel and national health rules in place. Using the EU Digital COVID Certificate, travel from an EU or non-EU country. Specific information covering national health measures including restrictions at regional or local level.

  6. Travel to Austria: latest Covid rules and holiday advice

    Yes. Arrivals must show either proof of full vaccination, a recovery certificate or a recent negative test to enter Austria. To show proof of vaccination you must have received the second dose or...

  7. EXPLAINED: What are the rules for travel between Austria and the UK?

    From late 2020 until the middle of 2021, travel between Austria and the United Kingdom was heavily restricted. Indeed, it was difficult or in some cases impossible for people to make the trip unless they were citizens or residents of both countries.

  8. What are the travel rules between Austria and the UK right now?

    Meanwhile, Austria is still in lockdown. Here's what you need to know about travel between the two countries. Following the discovery of the new Omicron Covid-19 variant, the UK has once again tightened the border.

  9. Travelling to Austria: current travel rules, when you need a booster

    Austria is currently subject to some of the strictest travel rules in the European Union. The so-called 2-G+ rule (vaccinated or recovered) applies when entering Austria.

  10. Austria travel restrictions and rules on entering public places to be

    Austria entry requirements: Travel restrictions and rules on entering public places to be eased from 5 March Proof of vaccination, recovery or a recent test will be accepted to enter the country ...

  11. Austria International Travel Information

    July 26, 2023 Austria - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Exercise normal precautions in Austria. ... [READ MORE] Embassy Messages Alerts View Alerts and Messages Archive Quick Facts PASSPORT VALIDITY: Six months validity recommended, at least 3 months validity beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area is required.

  12. All You Need to Know About Entering Austria from the UK

    The same rules apply to children who are travelling alone. Children aged 12 to 15 who are not fully vaccinated can use a "Holiday Ninja Pass" to enter ski-resort venues. ... Teenagers ages 15 and above who arrive from the UK will not be eligible to participate in the program since Austria has designated the UK the highest risk "virus ...

  13. Travelling to the EU and Schengen area

    Travelling to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period. You can travel to more than one country in a 180-day period. How long you can stay in each country depends on ...

  14. March 2022: Current Travel Rules for Austria

    When entering Austria, the PCR test must not be older than 72 hours, and the rapid antigen test must not be older than 24 hours. Travellers who do not hold one of the three above-mentioned documents - a vaccination or recovery certificate or a negative test result - can also enter Austria. However, they are subject to quarantine and testing ...

  15. Do I Need a Visa?

    Holders of British Passports don't need a visa for touristic travel, visiting friends & family or business travel (without gainful work in Austria) for up to 90 days in the Schengen area within a rolling 180-days-period. Spouse / dependant / civil partner of non Austrian EU/EEA/Swiss national exercising their right of free movement:

  16. Austria by Car Start Your Road Trip to the Alps Here

    In general, Austrian traffic regulations and traffic signals are similar to those enforced in other European countries. It is approximately 1,035 km (647 mi) from the UK to the Austrian border, and the drive takes between 10 and 11 hours. Please be aware that you need a "vignette" toll sticker to drive on Austria's motorways and expressways.

  17. How travel rules from Austria to England are now stricter despite UK

    Unvaccinated travellers from Austria to the UK also have to quarantine and take pre-departure tests as well as on day 2 and day 8 after arrival. Advertisement This will come as a bitter blow to those in Austria with plans to visit England soon as the country has been mixing mRNA vaccine doses Moderna and Pfizer since the summer.

  18. Taking animal products, food or plants with you

    You may carry animal derived products - when you are travelling in the EU. However, most EU countries have strict rules on carrying endangered animals or plants or products derived from them, and in some cases, you may need a permit. For example, you may only carry 125g of sturgeon caviar; you will need a permit if you can more than this amount.

  19. Moving from the UK to Austria

    Customs Formalities. As the UK is no longer in the EU (Brexit), customs formalities will need to be followed when bringing items into Austria. There is a 12-month exemption on duty and tax on personal belongings when moving your main residence, but after that date, no such exemption applies! Paperwork still needs to be completed though (see link below).

  20. New rules for Austrian nationals travelling to UK from October

    New rules for Austrian nationals travelling to UK from October The Local Austria - [email protected] Published: 30 Aug, 2021 CET. Updated: Mon 30 Aug 2021 16:32 CET An Austrian passport. Photo: Wikicommons

  21. EU Countries Warn German Gas Levy May Boost Russia Reliance

    2:55. Four European Union member states warned that a German levy on gas makes the fuel more expensive at a time when the bloc is trying to cut its reliance on Russian supplies. The country ...

  22. Horner hits back at critics of Red Bull's two-team ownership

    23 Feb 2024 12:13AM. Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner hit back on Thursday at McLaren's Zak Brown for questioning the energy drink company's ownership of two Formula One teams and their close ...