• Media & Industry
  • Meetings & Events
  • Select Language 简体中文 繁體中文(香港) 繁體中文(臺灣) India (English) Bahasa Indonesia 한국어 ภาษาไทย Tiếng Việt Singapore (English) Philippines (English) Malaysia (English) Australia/New Zealand (English) Français Deutsch Italiano Español United Kingdom (English) Nordic countries(English) Canada (English) Canada (Français) United States (English) Mexico (español) Português العربية Japan(日本語) Global (English)
  • India (English)
  • Bahasa Indonesia
  • Singapore (English)
  • Philippines (English)
  • Malaysia (English)
  • Australia/New Zealand (English)
  • United Kingdom (English)
  • Nordic countries(English)
  • Canada (English)
  • Canada (Français)
  • United States (English)
  • Mexico (español)
  • Global (English)
  • Fujiyoshida
  • Shimonoseki
  • Ishigaki Island
  • Miyako Island
  • Kerama Island
  • Tokyo Island
  • Koka & Shigaraki
  • Hida Takayama
  • Ginza, Nihonbashi
  • Beppu & Yufuin (Onsen)
  • Ginzan Onsen
  • Nagasaki Islands

tourist visa japan documents

  • Kumano Kodo
  • Shikoku Karst
  • Amami Oshima
  • Hachimantai
  • Omihachiman
  • Aizuwakamatsu

tourist visa japan documents

  • Diving in Japan
  • Skiing in Japan
  • Seasonal Flowers in Japan
  • Sustainable Outdoors
  • Off the Beaten Track in Japan
  • Scenic Spots
  • World Heritage
  • Home Stays & Farm Stays

tourist visa japan documents

  • Japanese Gardens
  • Japanese Crafts
  • Temple Stays
  • Heritage Stays
  • Festivals and Events
  • Theater in Japan
  • Japanese Tea Ceremony
  • Cultural Experiences in Japan
  • Culture in Japan

tourist visa japan documents

  • Local Cuisine Eastern Japan
  • Local Cuisine Western Japan
  • Local Street Food
  • Japan's Local Ekiben
  • Japanese Whisky
  • Vegetarian and Vegan Guide
  • Sushi in Japan Guide
  • Japanese Sake Breweries

tourist visa japan documents

  • Art Museums
  • Architecture
  • Performing Arts
  • Art Festivals
  • Japanese Anime and Comics
  • Japanese Ceramics
  • Local Crafts

tourist visa japan documents

  • Scenic Night Views
  • Natural Wonders
  • Theme Parks
  • Samurai & Ninja
  • Iconic Architecture

tourist visa japan documents

  • Wellness Travel in Japan
  • Japanese Ryokan Guide
  • A Guide to Stargazing in Japan
  • Relaxation in Japan
  • Forest Bathing (Shinrin-yoku)

tourist visa japan documents

  • Experiences in Japan
  • Enjoy my Japan
  • National Parks
  • Japan's Local Treasures
  • Japan Heritage
  • Snow Like No Other
  • Wonder Around Japan

tourist visa japan documents

  • Visa Information
  • Getting to Japan
  • Airport Access
  • COVID-19: Practical Information for Traveling to Japan
  • Anime Tourism
  • Countryside Stays
  • Accessible Tourism
  • Hokkaido Great Outdoors
  • Scenic World Heritage in Tohoku
  • Shikoku’s Nature and Traditions
  • Southern Kyushu by Rail

tourist visa japan documents

  • Traveling by Rail
  • How to Travel by Train and Bus
  • JR Rail Passes
  • Scenic Railways
  • Renting a Car
  • Sustainable Travel in Japan
  • Travel Brochures
  • Useful Apps
  • Online Reservation Sites
  • Eco-friendly Accommodation
  • Luxury Accommodations
  • Traveling With a Disability
  • Hands-free Travel
  • How to Book a Certified Tour Guide
  • Volunteer Guides
  • Tourist Information Center

tourist visa japan documents

  • Japanese Manners
  • Spring in Japan
  • Summer in Japan
  • Autumn in Japan
  • Winter in Japan
  • Cherry Blossom Forecast
  • Autumn Leaves Forecast

tourist visa japan documents

  • Japan Visitor Hotline
  • Travel Insurance in Japan
  • Japan Safe Travel Information
  • Accessibility in Japan
  • Vegetarian Guide
  • Muslim Travelers
  • Safety Tips

tourist visa japan documents

  • JAPAN Monthly Web Magazine
  • Arts & Cultures
  • Nature & Outdoor
  • Festivals & Events
  • Insider Blog
  • Things to do
  • Local Guides
  • Food & drink
  • Traditional
  • Hokuriku Shinetsu

JAPAN Monthly Web Magazine

My Favorites

${v.desc | trunc(25)}

Planning a Trip to Japan?

Share your travel photos with us by hashtagging your images with #visitjapanjp

Visa Information

  • Helping You Plan

All you need to know about entering, leaving and staying in Japan

Any foreign visitor entering Japan must have a valid passport for the duration of their stay, and all visitors must comply with the conditions of their visas.

See below for information about the current visa requirements for Japan.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

Did this information help you?

out of found this information helpful.

Thank you for your feedback.

Recommended for you.

Nemophila & Kochia at Hitachi Seaside Park

Please Choose Your Language

Browse the JNTO site in one of multiple languages

tourist visa japan documents

  • Application
  • Requirements

Japan Visa Requirements

Entry requirements for japan, choose your nationality.

Japan has visa exemption agreements with 68 countries . Travelers from several countries in Latin America, Africa, and Asia as well as many former Soviet Union nations are required to obtain a visa to Japan .

There are a few entry requirements for Japan that must be considered when planning a trip to the country.

Japan Entry Visa Requirements

Foreign visitors who need a visa to travel to Japan must meet the following Japan tourist visa requirements .

  • A valid passport with at least 6 months validity and 2 blank pages
  • A completed and signed visa application form
  • A recent photograph , size 4.5 x 4.5 cm, in color and with a white background
  • An official birth certificate or a certified copy
  • If the traveler is married, it is necessary to submit a marriage certificate issued within one year
  • Schedule and travel plans in Japan


Visitors who are required to apply for a Japan visa should verify that they meet all the necessary requirements . It is essential to have a valid passport and complete the visa application form with the details exactly as they are on the passport.

The period of time to stay in Japan is differs from 15 days to 90 days, depending on the nationality of the passport traveler. All the other travelers are required to visit the nearest Japanese diplomatic mission and apply for a visa before departure.

Citizens of the following countries are required a tourist visa for Japan:

  • Central African Republic
  • Cote D'Ivoire
  • Congo, The Democratic Republic of the
  • Marshall Islands
  • Moldova, Republic of
  • Palestinian Territory
  • Russian Federation
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Solomon Islands
  • Syrian Arab Republic
  • Timor-Leste

Japan entry requirements for citizens from visa exempt countries require that travelers carry a passport, valid for at least the proposed duration of their stay.

Other Requirements to visit Japan

There are some additional Japan visa requirements that foreign travelers need to take into account when submitting their application at a Japanese mission.

Some travelers have a sponsor or guarantor that will support the Japan visa application. A sponsor is a person that, under the visa conditions, will cover the expenses of the person applying for a visa.

If the traveler does not have a sponsor or guarantor for their trip to Japan it is necessary to demonstrate that they can cover the expenses of their stay. In order to do this, it is necessary to submit the following:

  • Bank certificate, issued within the last 3 months
  • Applicant’s income tax return

In the case that the traveler has a sponsor or guarantor it is necessary to provide:

  • Guarantee letter where the relation between the traveler and the sponsor is explained and the details of the sponsor or guarantor must be included
  • Proof of relationship with the guarantor
  • Bank certificated and income tax return of the sponsor/guarantor

For questions or inquires about how to apply for a tourist visa to Japan, it is advised to contact the Japanese embassy or consulate.

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here, to know more. I agree

Japan Solved

Tourist Visa In Japan

Tourist Visa In Japan: A Simple Guide             

Embark on a journey to the Land of the Rising Sun with the essential first step: obtaining your tourist visa for Japan. Don’t worry! We’ve got your back!

This article is your lantern, illuminating the path through the delicate intricacies of the Japanese visa process. Whether you’re dreaming of cherry blossoms in Kyoto or the neon lights of Tokyo, we’ll guide you through each requirement to ensure your Japanese adventure begins smoothly and beautifully.

Let’s dive in!

Who Needs A Tourist Visa Or E-VISA In Japan?

Tourist Visa In Japan 1

If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, you can temporarily go to Japan visa-free for vacation or business for up to 90 days . 

Nationals from any of these regions are assigned Temporary Visitor status:

  • Dominican Republic
  • New Zealand
  • Honduras 

When Do You Need The Tourist Visa Or E-VISA Of Japan?

A Japan tourist visa is a short-term stay visa for the purposes of sightseeing, visiting friends, or attending conferences or courses. 

A tourist visa is typically valid for a single-entry stay of up to 90 days . Tourists can also apply for a double-entry visa for 2 short trips within 6 months.

It is important to note that the Japanese tourist visa does not allow travelers to participate in paid work or study while in the country.

Accordingly, you must apply for a student work visa (national visa) or other visa types according to your purpose of entry if you wish to enter for reasons other than tourism.

Some other types of short-stay visas include:

Business Visa

There is a temporary business visa for stays of up to 90 days, which can be a single or double-entry visa if both trips are within 6 months. 

Business purposes include conferences, meetings, signing contracts, and market surveys.

Transit Visa 

Some nationalities need a transit visa to stop in Japan when going to an onward destination. Many travelers do not need this as long as they stay within the allocated zone and do not leave the airport.

How Do You Obtain A Tourist Visa In Japan?

You must apply for a Japan Tourist Visa from a Representative Office of Japan abroad (Embassy or Consulate) or through an accredited travel agency .

 This process is as follows:

  • Contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application. However, some Japanese Embassies do not accept individual applications, so you must apply through a travel agency. The agency will submit the application at the Embassy or Consulate on your behalf.
  • Gather the required documents for a Japan visa 
  • Submit the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the travel agency.
  • Wait for the visa to be processed. This usually takes 5 working days , starting when the Japanese Representative Office receives your completed application.
  • Collect your passport from the Embassy/Consulate/travel agency. 

If the application has been approved, your visa will be affixed, and you can use it to travel to Japan within three months .

Remember that incomplete documents will require additional visits to the embassy or result in the need to reapply.

What Documents Are Required For The Tourist Visa?

Tourist Visa In Japan 2

You are obliged to prepare the following documents:

  • Passport Visa Application Form & one photograph ( 4.5cm x 4.5cm ) 
  • Copy of CNIC
  • Copy of Student Card (only if the applicant is still registered as a college student) 
  • Flight itinerary issued by a travel agency or airline office Itinerary with information on places you plan to visit and stay. 
  • Documents certifying the relationship between you and your relatives living in Japan 
  • Documents certifying the relationship between you and your friends/acquaintances living in Japan (such as photos, letters, etc.) 
  • Copy of documents certifying the relationship between each applicant, such as family registration card, etc. (for group applicants only)
  • Certificate of Employment Invitation Letter 

You must also bring along proof of sufficient funds to defray all the expenses while in Japan: 

  • If you, your relative/friend outside Japan , or an organization/institution where you belong to pay for your trip, you must have a copy of the bank statement for the last 3 months.  If you are not paying for your trip, you must submit documents certifying the relationship between you and the one who pays for your trip.  
  • As well as the letter from the organization/institution where you belong that certifies the purpose of the visit
  • Letter of Guarantee
  • A copy of documents on the guarantor
  • A copy of the bank statement for the last three months
  • A copy of the bankbook for recent three months
  • A certificate of employment with information on the duration of employment and amount of annual income
  • Domicile certificate
  • A copy of the legal registration or an Overview of the Company/Organization in Japan.

Additional documents may be required according to your specific situation.

What Is The Japanese E-VISA?

It is a system that enables applicants to apply for a visa online and issues an electronic visa to applicants for a short-term stay for the purpose of tourism. 

This Japan online visa simplifies the visa application process by eliminating the need for in-person visits to embassies or consulates.

As of November 1 , 2023 , Japan eVISA is available to residents in the following countries/regions:

  • Saudi Arabia
  • South Africa
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • Nationals of China who reside in China
  • Nationals of Vietnam who reside in Vietnam 

For the time being, only those Vietnamese who participate in a packaged tour organized by designated travel agencies.

Visa applications must be made through travel agencies accredited by the Japanese overseas establishment. The agencies will begin applying for visas on the Japan eVISA system as soon as their preparations are complete.

How To Obtain A Japanese E-VISA?

Tourist Visa In Japan 3

Listed below are the steps on how you can get a Japanese E-VISA:

  • Fill out the online application
  • Complete the online application and pay with credit card or PayPal
  • Receive documents via email
  • Enter destination
  • Present your Passport and the Document upon entry to the destination country

However, it’s important to note that the Japan electronic visa has certain limitations. Here are a few things you cannot do with the E-VISA:

  • Work in Japan without obtaining the necessary work permits or visas.
  • Engage in any form of paid employment or long-term studies .
  • Stay in Japan beyond the permitted duration granted by the eVISA.
  • Visit friends and family.
  • Engage in business activities.
  • Seek medical treatment .
  • Attend special events, festivals, or conferences held in the country.
  • Undertake any activities not in line with the purpose specified in your E-VISA application.

It’s crucial to adhere to the terms and conditions of the Japan eVISA for a legal stay in the country.

To apply for the Japan visa online, you will need the following documents and information:

  • Passport:  A valid passport with a minimum validity of six months beyond your intended stay in Japan. Ensure that your passport has at least two blank pages for visa stamping.
  • Personal Information:  You must provide personal details such as your full name, date of birth, nationality, and gender as they appear in your passport.
  • Contact Information:  Your current address, phone number, and email address should be provided for communication purposes.
  • Travel Itinerary:  Details of your planned itinerary, including your arrival and departure dates, the address of your accommodation in Japan, and any planned activities or destinations.
  • Employment Details:  Suppose you are visiting Japan for business purposes. In that case, you may be required to provide information about your employer, such as the company’s name, position, and the purpose of your visit.
  • Financial Means:  It may be necessary to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Japan. This can be done by providing recent bank statements or proof of financial capability.
  • Recent Passport Photo:  A digital passport-sized photograph with a plain white background.

Incomplete documentation will result in the cancellation of processing of your eVISA.

What Is The Visa Fees And Processing Time For A Tourist Visa And E-VISA?

Tourist Visa In Japan 4

For a single-entry visa, the fee is 3,000 Yen . For a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, the fee is  6,000 Yen . 

The processing time for a Japanese Tourist Visa is five working days , starting when the Embassy or Consulate receives your completed application.

Generally, the E-VISA issuance fee is 3700 yen , approx. However, the visa fees may be waived or reduced for specific countries and regions based on the nationality of the applicant.

Visas for the Japan E-visa are issued within five working days after all required documents are submitted.

As our guide to securing a tourist visa for Japan draws to a close, remember that this process is your gateway to a world of unparalleled beauty and cultural richness.

Armed with the knowledge from this article, you’re now ready to step into the enchanting streets of Japan with confidence and excitement. Sayonara and safe travels on your journey to discovery!

Japan Awaits!

But wait! There’s lot more that you might be interested in following:

  • Types Of Visas In Japan
  • Tax Refund In Japan
  • Temporary Residence In Japan

Similar Posts

Social Security Number In Japan: Explained

Social Security Number In Japan: Explained

Understanding the intricacies of Japan’s social security system is crucial for both locals and expats alike, particularly when it comes to obtaining a social security number (SSN). Worry Not! We’ve got you covered for this! This essential piece of documentation is key to accessing a range of services and benefits within the country. Our guide…

Permanent Residence In Japan: Expats Guide   

Permanent Residence In Japan: Expats Guide   

Mount Fuji isn’t the only pinnacle you can reach in Japan; securing permanent residence is another summit worth conquering. Ready to overcome this hurdle? Fret not! We’ve got your back! With our streamlined guide, we’ll walk you through the ‘torii’ gates of bureaucracy straight into the zen garden of permanent residency. Let’s dive in! What…

Work Employment Visa In Japan: Explained      

Work Employment Visa In Japan: Explained      

Japan’s dynamic economy and advanced technological landscape make it a coveted destination for professionals worldwide. Looking to travel Japan for work? Worry not! We’ve got you covered! Securing a work or employment visa is the first step towards realizing your career aspirations in this innovative country. This article aims to simplify the process, offering a…

Student Visa In Japan: The Ultimate Guide 

Student Visa In Japan: The Ultimate Guide 

Embarking on a journey to study in Japan begins with navigating the student visa process. Are you looking for assistance to kickoff your Japan journey? Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered! This guide is your first step towards understanding the essentials of securing your gateway to a world-class education in the Land of the Rising…

Letters Of Invitation For Japan Visa: Explained

Letters Of Invitation For Japan Visa: Explained

A letter of invitation can be a pivotal element in your Japan visa application, serving as a bridge between you and your visit to the Land of the Rising Sun. Need to know more details? Fret Not! We’ve got your back! This guide offers a comprehensive walkthrough on how to create a compelling invitation letter,…

Spouse Visa In Japan: All You Need To Know

Spouse Visa In Japan: All You Need To Know

Envisioning a life with your spouse amidst the serene beauty of Japan? The journey begins with obtaining a Japanese spouse visa. Worry Not! We’ve got you covered! Like navigating the tranquil yet intricate gardens of Kyoto, the process can seem complex, but our guide is your pathway to clarity. Let’s embark on this journey together,…

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

  • You pick the destination, we have all the visa information ready

logo visa library

  • What are Japan tourist visa requirements? What is the Japan tourist visa application process?
  • Japan Visitor Visa: Application Process, Japan Visitor Visa: Requirements

Millions of foreign travelers choose Japan as their tourist destination every year. Most of these people need a visa before entering the country. We are going to describe the application process, the required documents, the processing time of documents, the validity, and how to extend a Japan tourist visa in the following.

Get the FREE Cheat sheet for

Japan tourist visa.

Table of Contents

What is the Japan tourist visa?

If you intend to travel to Japan for tourism purposes, you will need a Japan tourist visa. You must apply for another visa if you intend to engage in paid activities. However, citizens of some countries are allowed to travel to this country without a tourist visa. The list of these countries is:

Video description

The links and extra information covered in the video:

Japan tourist visa application form:


Daily Itinerary form


Invitation letter or letter of guarantee

https://visalibrary.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/000137089.pdf Applying for Health Declaration https://www.ivisa.com/japan-health-declaration-form?utm_source=passenger_locator_form

What are Japanese tourist visa requirements?

To obtain a tourist visa, you must first prepare the following documents:

  • Japan Tourist Visa Application Form: You can download this form from the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs in this link . All fields must be filled. If one of them doesn’t apply to you, write N/A in the blank. This form must be signed.
  • A passport: it must be valid for at least the next six months and have two blank pages.
  • Applicant’s photo: it should be on white background with dimensions of 4.5 * 4.5 cm. The photograph must be taken during the last six months. The whole face of the person should be visible in the photo. The applicant’s name and birthdate must be written on the back of the photo.
  • Flight Itinerary: Prepare detailed information on the date of your entry and exit of Japan as well as your flight reservation number. You do not need to buy a plane ticket for this purpose.
  • Daily Itinerary: You need to provide a plan for your daily activities in Japan. You can find an example of this form on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
  • If you have a guarantor in this country, you must provide an invitation letter from him. Your guarantor must prove that he will cover your expenses during your stay in Japan. For this purpose, he must show his Income Certificate for the last three months.
  •  If you are financing your travel expenses, you must show a bank statement for the past three months.
  • You should provide the latest Income Tax Returns. If you do not have this document, you may be able to explain why by letter.
  • If you want to visit your family members in Japan, you must describe your relationship with documents, including birth certificates and marriage certificates. If you want to visit your friend in Japan, you must demonstrate your relationship via pictures together, phone call details, and a letter explaining your relationship.
  • In some cases, civil status documents such as birth certificates and marriage certificates are required.

infographic Japan tourist visa requirements

What is the Japan tourist visa application process?

You can apply for this visa through a credible travel agency as well as the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The visa application process is as follows:

First, you must submit your application to the Japanese Embassy.

Some Japanese embassies do not accept individual applications, in which case you will have to use travel agencies. The travel agency will send your request to the embassy on your behalf.

You will have to wait about five working days for your documents to be processed. When the application is approved, the visa will be entered into your passport. The Japanese tourist visa validity is up to 3 months.

The Japanese visa application process is not done in an online manner. However, the Japanese government intended to define an online system for this purpose, due to the 2020 Olympics. Because of the Coronavirus pandemic, this decision has not yet been implemented.

How long does it take to assess the submitted documents and issue a visa?

It usually takes five working days from the time the Japanese immigration officer receives your documents to the issuance of the visa. But the processing time of documents may be longer for some reason. In some cases, more documents may be required, or your documents may be sent to Tokyo for further investigation.

How much does it cost to apply for this visa?

The Japan tourist visa fee is as follows:

  • For a single-entry visa, the applicant must pay 3,000 Yen.
  • For a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, 6,000 Yen must be paid.
  • The application fee for a transit visa is 700 Yen.

The visa application fee is paid when the visa application is approved. If travel agencies apply on your behalf of you, they will charge you a service fee.

How long can you stay in this country under this visa?

A Japan Tourist Visa validity is up to 90 days, usually for a single entry. You can spend up to 15 days in the country once you enter via the Tourist Visa.

How to do a Japan tourist visa extension?

In most cases, a Japanese tourist visa is not renewed. In cases such as illness or an accident, Japanese immigration will extend the visa’s validity.

In Japan, the visa extension is usually issued for long-term visas.

Is the holder of this visa allowed to work in Japan?

No. Short-term visa holders, including Japanese tourist visas, are not allowed to work under any circumstances. To do this, the applicant must apply for a Japanese work visa.

Let’s sum up…

In this article, we have reviewed the answers to the most frequently asked questions about Japanese tourist visas. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other Japanese visas like transit visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 4

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

' src=

hello I am a syrian i am would like to apply for the Japanese visa for touriste

' src=

Dear Kinan Ayache You can apply through a travel agency in Syria and they take care of everything. If you wanna apply on your own, you need to submit your application and the required documents to the Japanese embassy in Syria. Determine if they are active after the Civil War or not. If not, visit a neighboring country like lebanon to submit the application. Good luck

Before you can apply to become a teacher in British Columbia, Canada, or anywhere else in the country, you need…

Yes, it is indeed feasible to convert your current visa status in South Korea from student (D2) to dependent family…

Yes, you can practice dentistry or teach at dental schools in Malaysia after earning your Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree…

tourist visa japan documents

Digital Agency

  • How to use Visit Japan Web
  • Instructions
  • Log in / Register

Visit Japan Web

About Visit Japan Web

Visit Web Japan QR code

What you need for registration

air ticket

Frequently Asked Questions

  • About using Visit Japan Web
  • Quarantine : Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
  • Immigration : Immigration Services Agency of Japan
  • Customs : Ministry of Finance
  • Animal Quarantine : Animal Quarantine Service
  • Plant Quarantine : Plant Quarantine Service

Digital Agency

Temporary Visitor Visa

Who can use a temporary visitor visa, temporary visitors for business.

(1) The visa application form (see Documentation #1 below). (2) A valid passport (see Documentation #2 below). (3) A photo (see Documentation #3 below). (4) A certificate of completion of registration for the ERFS.

Additional documents may be requested.

Temporary Visitors Visiting Relatives or Acquaintances (*) *Only those who are deemed to have a relationship equivalent to relatives (betrothed or common-law marriage) or those who are deemed to have a need to visit Japan (to attend a wedding or funeral or to visit an acquaintance who is ill).

tourist visa japan documents

Visa Exemption

U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries which have a reciprocal visa exemption arrangement with Japan may be eligible to visit Japan without a visa for a short-term stay for the activities allowed to Temporary Visitors. For more information about reciprocal visa exemption arrangements, please click here . Important Notice :Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19)


Please be aware that we will decline applications that have incomplete documents. Each Temporary Visitor Visa applicant must submit the following documents: * Consulate General of Japan will not make copies. If you need original documents, please bring the original plus one copy.

  • An application form completed and signed. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices. You can also download by clicking on visa application form ( Sample ) in PDF format. Chinese citizens must write their names in Chinese characters, as well as in Roman letters. Korean citizens in principle are asked to write their names in Chinese characters, as well as in Roman letters. Please include your e-mail address and contact phone information. An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).
  • Valid passport ( original plus one photo copy of the face page) with sufficient space for a visa (This means at least one empty, blank visa page. US passports use the rear pages for amendments, and are not acceptable as blank visa pages ). If you already have a valid Japanese visa in your passport, please include a signed consent form as shown in the sample at this link: http://www.ny.us.emb-japan.go.jp/en/d/Consent.pdf . If you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.
  • A passport-sized photograph: 2-inch x 1.4-inch photograph on glossy photo paper taken within the last six months with plain background. Photograph may be attached to the application form with glue (not tape or staples) or you may submit the photograph unattached.
  • Green Card or valid I-94 and U.S. resident visa to re-enter the United States (F or J visa holder must show an I-20 or DS-2019 with the valid signature of an appropriate official in order for re-entry). If you will be entering a third country after leaving Japan, you must show a valid visa to enter that country (or a national passport of that country). We ask that all applicants submit their original immigration documents (green card, I-20, etc.) or a NOTARIZED copy of the documents. * Please note: In principle we do not accept an application from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa status holders.
  • A confirmed reservation record of your round-trip flight to/from Japan. An e-ticket or print-out from a travel agency, airline or travel website is acceptable. The print-out should include: -Your name. -Your confirmation number/record locator. -Your airlines, flights and all departure and destination cities. -Your complete round-trip flight itinerary, starting and ending in the US. This should include all of the countries you are visiting other than Japan, if applicable. * Please note: We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we do require a confirmed reservation. We are not responsible for tickets which may be unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa. For those with non-revenue ticket holders: a) Actual Non-Revenue ticket (original plus copy of all pages), plus a printed entire flight information from the airline company b) A copy of the employee ID of the airline employee who obtained the flight coupon, or a letter from the airline proving the employee works for the airline, and that the applicant is authorized to use the non-revenue ticket
  • If traveling for BUSINESS, original letter from applicant’s company signed by an authorized executive officer, on company letterhead, stating: a) applicant’s position in the company, duration of employment, and monthly or annual salary b) nature/purpose of visit in detail c) dates/duration of stay intended d) contact person, company name, address and phone number of business contact in Japan e) guarantee of financial support during applicant’s stay in Japan and return transportation from Japan * Additional documents may be requested during the course of examination.
  • If going to attend a CONFERENCE, conference brochures plus a paid registration form and invitation will be required. In addition, a letter from the home institution/company giving the circumstances of the trip as in 6.a ) ~ 6.c ) from the visa applicant’s home institution/company, plus the applicant’s financial resources such as listed on 8.a) will be required.

Visa Fees Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. Click here for Visa Fees.

Processing Time Please refer to our introduction page .

Applications by mail Please refer to our introduction page .

Note for Chinese nationals In general, Japanese Embassy/Consulates in China are not accepting Japanese tourist visa applications from Chinese nationals residing in other countries, and if you are planning to sightsee in Japan during your temporary stay in China or on the way back to the US, we recommend applying for a Japanese visa before leaving the US.

Note for Nationals of India Click here for outline of application procedures for Multiple Entry VISA ( English / Japanese )

Note for Nationals of Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam Click here for outline of application procedures for Multiple Entry VISA ( English / Japanese )



By continuing to read this article, you agree to double check with the authorities or other concerned entities for the latest updates.

This guide is for applying for a VISIT VISA. If you’re traveling to Japan as a tourist, we have a separate visa guide for that. Read: Japan Visa Requirements for Tourists

When my sister moved to Japan as an OFW, I found another reason to return to Japan over and over again. Before that, I had only traveled to Japan as a tourist. But now that I have a close relative living there, I no longer have to worry about the accommodations and spend any dough on hotels. (Hotels in Japan are expensive!)

However, the documents needed for visiting a friend or relative is different from those required of tourists. Most travel agencies also charge a slightly higher price for it because it’s a little bit more complicated. But no worries, this visa guide will help you go through the entire visa application process.



Below is a list of the documents you need to gather for your visa application. Note that documents that need to be printed out (e.g. application form, itinerary) must be done on an A4-size paper.

  • Philippine passport. Must have a signature and at least 2 blank pages. Broken passports are not accepted. Must have at least 6-month validity.
  • A duly accomplished visa application form. Don’t leave any blank. Just put N/A if not applicable. You may download it from  here .
  • ID picture. 4.5cm x 4.5 cm. Write your name and birthdate on the back side. Paste it on the application form.
  • Birth certificate from PSA. Must be issued within the past one year from PSA Main Office or Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide). If the birth certificate is marked LATE REGISTRATION, you must also submit Baptismal certificate, School Record (Form 137), and School Yearbook (if applicable). The address of the church or school must be indicated in the documents.
  • Marriage certificate from PSA . Only if you’re married. If not, ignore this one. Must be issued within the past one year from PSA Main Office or Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide).
  • Daily schedule . Your itinerary in Japan. It doesn’t have to be complicated. Download the format here . Here’s what mine looked like: Sample Japan Itinerary
  • Accomplished list of Visa Applicants. Only if traveling as a group/family. You can download the form here .
  • Update: Additional Form . On 3 February 2020, the Japanese Embassy in Manila announced that visa applicants must answer and submit an additional questionnaire in accordance to the Japanese government’s decision to impose restrictions on travelers who have recently visited NCOv/COVID-19-affected areas. All applicants must accomplish and submit this form, in addition to the other requirements. DOWNLOAD THE ADDITIONAL FORM HERE!

The list above are just the basic requirements. But there are additional documents needed depending on your relationship to the person you will visit in Japan.

There are two types of visit visas. The first type is for visiting a Close Relative. The other is for visiting a friend or distant relative. The requirements are different.

If Visiting a Close Relative

Emphasis on CLOSE. This applies to close relatives — parent, child, brother, sister, nephew, niece, aunt, uncle. Everything else falls under the distant relative category.

  • Birth certificates to prove your relationship . Must be issued within the past one year from PSA Main Office or Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide). – Parent-child – BC of both applicant and relative in Japan – Siblings – BC of both applicant and relative in Japan – Aunt/Uncle -> Niece/Nephew – BC of applicant + relative in Japan + parent of relative in Japan. – Niece/Nephew -> Aunt/Uncle – BC of applicant + parent of applicant + relative in Japan.
  • Invitation letter from person to visit in Japan . Must be issued within the past 3 months. This must explain why you will be visiting and must have a signature. A template is available right  here .
  • Family Registration Certificate(Koseki Tohon) . Only if relative in Japan has a Japanese Spouse or relative. Must be issued within three months. Ignore if not applicable to you.
  • Residence certificate  (Juminhyo) if your guarantor is Japanese OR Foreign Registration Certificate from City Hall if guarantor is not Japanese. Must be issued within the past 3 months.
  • Copy of Residence Card or Special Permanent Resident certificate of relative in Japan. Copy of both sides must be submitted.

Without Guarantor

If you will shoulder part or all of your trip expenses:

  • Income tax return (ITR Form 2316). They need a clear photocopy of it.
  • Bank certificate.  Must be issued within the past 3 months. I’m not sure if they require a receipt, but I submitted the receipt too. To be safe, when you get your bank certificate, ask for a receipt too. There’s no telling how big a fund is “enough” to get approved, but (in case you’re wondering) my account had only a bit north of P100,000. I planned on staying for a week. I didn’t encounter any problem.

With Guarantor

If your friend/relative in Japan will sponsor your trip:

  • Guarantee letter . Must be issued within the past 3 months.
  • Income Certificate  (Shotoku Shomeisho) from City Hall,  Tax return certificate  (Nouzeishomeisho: Form 2) from Tax office (Kakuteishinkokusho Hikae), OR  Bank Certificate  (Yokin Zandaka Shomeisho). Best if you have all three.

If Visiting a Friend or Distant Relative

Emphasis on distant . If you have friends or relatives in Japan, you may work with one of them. Here’s what they need to give you:

  • Proof of Relationship . A letter from the person to be visited explaining their relationship to you plus other documents such as pictures, passport copies, etc.
  • Invitation letter from the person you will visit . This must explain why you will be visiting and must have a signature. Must be issued within the past 3 months.

If you will shoulder your trip expenses:

If your friend/relative in Japan will sponsor your trip, you may not be required to prove you could afford the trip. The burden shifts to your friend or relative.

Again, documents to be printed out must be done on an A4-size paper. Other sizes will not be accepted.

All birth certificates must be issued within the past year by PSA Main Office or Serbilis Center.


tourist visa japan documents

  • Complete the requirements .
  • Submit the documents to an accredited travel agency . Unless summoned by the Japanese Embassy, you can’t apply directly at the embassy. You MUST course it though an agency. My go-to agency is Reli Tours for the only reason that it is the one closest to my home. Check out the list of accredited agencies here .
  • Pay the processing fee . The actual visa is FREE, but you will need to pay the agency that will process your application. The cost of processing a visit visa is much higher than a tourist visa. Every agency charges a different amount, but it’s usually somewhere around P2000.

That’s about it. After the agency accepts your application, the only thing you can do is wait. It takes 3-5 days, sometimes shorter, sometimes much longer. My most recent application took only 2 days. Some of our readers had to wait 7 days. You can’t really tell. Just wait for a message from your agency.

When the embassy returns your passport to the agency, you should receive a message from the agency telling you to pick it up or that they’re sending it to you, depending on your prior arrangement with them.

If it has a visa affixed to it, congratulations! If there is no visa, then your application is denied.

Klook TPT2024


How to renew a japan visa.

The process is still the same. The only difference is you don’t need to submit a birth certificate and marriage certificate. But you will need to submit the passport with your old visas.

How to apply for a multiple-entry visa?

We also have a dedicated post for that. You’ll find that here: Multiple-Entry Japan Visa

Do I really need a travel agency to apply? Can’t I apply on my own?

Yes, you need a travel agency. Unless it’s a special case, all visa applications must be coursed through any of their accredited travel agencies.

Here’s the complete list of officially accredited travel agencies: Japan Visa Travel Agencies .

Are flight and hotel bookings required to apply?

No. It’s not a requirement. And it’s not advisable. However, on the application form, you will have to write down the specific FLIGHT NUMBER and HOTEL ADDRESS you wish to take.

How long does it take to process the application?

It varies. My first time, 5 working days. Second time, 2 days. Then on my third and fourth times, 7 days and 2 days respectively.

I know people who have waited weeks for theirs. Pretty hard to tell.

How long is the validity of the visa?

Single-entry tourist visas are valid for 90 days upon issue and will usually allow you to stay for no longer than 15 days. So for example, your visa is issued on January 1, you can enter Japan any time between January 1 and March 31, but once you enter, you can stay for only 15 days maximum.

Multiple-entry visas will usually allow you to stay for up to 15 or 30 days, depending on what is given to you. But it’s usually valid for 3 or 5 years. Meaning, you can visit multiple times within 3 or 5 years since the issue date, but every stay must not be longer than 15 or 30 days.

How much money should I have in the bank to get approved?

We answered that and more frequently asked questions here:

More Japan FAQs

tourist visa japan documents

Updates Log

2020 February 3 – Added the new questionnaire (related to Hubei Province) to the list of requirements 2020 February 13 – Replaced the NCOV questionnaire with a new version that includes Zhejiang Province.

More Tips on YouTube ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Is this post helpful to you?

Tip Us

Related Posts:

  • JAPAN VISA REQUIREMENTS & Application for Tourists
  • HOW TO RENEW JAPAN VISA & Other Frequently Asked Questions
  • MULTIPLE ENTRY JAPAN VISA: Requirements & How to Apply
  • JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out
  • JAPAN VISA: LIST OF TRAVEL AGENCIES Accredited by the Embassy
  • SAMPLE ITINERARY for JAPAN VISA Application (Schedule of Stay)
  • IMPORTANT JAPAN VISA UPDATE: Additional NCOV/COVID-19 Form to be Submitted
  • Avoid These 12 COMMON MISTAKES when Applying for a JAPAN VISA!

Visit Terms page for reminders

  • Recent Posts

Yosh Dimen

  • Top 13 FREE Attractions to Enjoy in MACAU - 19 February 2024
  • 7 New MACAU Attractions to Add to Your Itinerary - 18 February 2024
  • What to Wear in MACAU • What to Pack & Best Time to Visit - 15 February 2024


Hi! Ask ko lang if saan kayo nag apply? Then sure ba yon na 2 days lang processing? Thank you!

Laura Marijana Donato

Hi i sm holding Indondian passport , married to filipino , have permanent residence in the philippine , do i need visa going to japan ? Thank you

Yosh Dimen

Reli Tours kami nag-aapply. And nope, like I said in the post, you can’t tell kung 2 days or 3 days or 5 days. Depende yan sa case mo.


I’m living in Japan and will be the guarantor when my friend visit me. I wonder about those documents I provide, like proof of relationship, should be written in English or Japanese?


Would you please contact me I want your advice

Muhammad Jawad Saleem

Can you please confirm me which documents are required for visit visa ? one of my friend living in Japan and I wanna visit his place Further If you have any information about visit visa please let me know.

I am waiting for your response.

Hi Kangyou, the embassy provides both Japanese and English copies of the documents, so I guess either is accepted. :) My sister usually submits the English version, though.


Hello po..ask lang if with guarantor ano need na docs pagdating sa immigration..i’m traveling with my daughter and full time mom ako. Thank you

Hi Liz, nasa post yung requirements kapag may guarantor. Pabasa na lang po.

What type of visa po kinuha nyo? With guarantor po ba kayo? Im planning to visit japan soon.. wala akong itr kasi unemployed nako pero may bank account ako. My fiance is in japan as a trainee plan namin na magstay sa apartment nya para makasave. Any suggestion po what reqts need ko and sa baby namin.


Liz, ask ko lang if training pa yung partner mo dun nong nagapply ka dineclare mo ba sya and na approve ba ang visa mo kasi sabi nla may limited rights lng if trainee lng ang holder ng residence card sa japan pero tourist visa lng aapplyin ko and ako rin magshoulder ng expenses ko bali invite lng kunin ko sa boyfriend ko na trainee dun

If may guarantor, you don’t need to submit your ITR. But you need to submit yung docs needed from your guarantor, as listed in the post.


Hi i am planning to bring my mother to Japan, i will be guarantor. My passport reads mothers name as “Santhi”(applied long back), whereas my mothers passport reads “Santhalakshmi”. will this be a issue. Please advise.


Good day! Ask ko lang po, my sister is on a student visa in Japan, and im applying for tourist visa and i will be paying for all expenses. Should i declare her as sponsor without her bank details and provide only her residence info? Thank you very much for your response! :)

Hi Abs, if you’re applying for a tourist visa, it would be best to just indicate a hotel and hotel address. If you’re applying for a VISIT VISA, provide her residence info.


Hi, ano po ang mas ok i-apply, tourist or relative visa? malaki po ba ang difference nila 2?

If you’re staying in a friend’s or relative’s house, best to apply as someone visiting someone in Japan.

If you’re staying in a hotel, best to apply as a tourist to avoid complicating your application.

Tin Reyes

Hello, just want to ask possible ba to apply for visiting a relative kung wala pang one year relative sa Japan? Wala pa kasing tax return certificate yun, right? Thanks.


Hello sir. Tanong ko lang po pwede ba mag stay ng japan kasi ang visa ko for stay in japan is 30 days date of issue june 11 2019 pero ang expiration ay expiry ay sept 11 2019 . Pero nakarating ako dtobsa japan june 25 . Pwede ba ako mag stay dito sa japan bago matapos ang expiry ng visa ko? Salamat

kung for stay of 30 days lang ang approved sayo, hanggang 30 days ka lang pwede magstay kahit pa hindi expired ung visa. Iba yung expiry ng validity sa length of stay allowed.

Hi Tin! Possible. The first time I visited my sister in Tokyo, wala pa rin siyang 1 year. Naka- OR naman ‘yun. Just provide the other docs instead.


Hi! Do you have any ideas on why is the processing taking too long? My sister and I applied for a “Visit Relative Visa” for 90 days as we are invited by our Japanese stepfather (guarantor) and our mother who’s a permanent resident there, and it’s been a total of 45 working days since our application which was way back in April 2. It’s my first time to travel in Japan and it will be the third time for my sister.

Sorry for the long message, and thank you!


Hi nina! I’m also applying for a 90-day visit this december. My guarantor will be the husband of my aunt. I’m afraid I’ll get denied also. Do you have an idea as to why they denied your visa? Did you submit everything listed above? I’m really scared upon reading your comment T-T I hope you reply thankyou


Did you got approved, dear?

Hi Nina, sorry, we have no idea. :( Have you tried asking the agency that processed your application? What did they say?

Well, we just called the embassy last Friday and they said that it’s still processing. It’s giving me the benefit of the doubt that maybe there’s a problem with our papers? (but they’re not calling or emailing us about it) or is it because we applied for 90 days? I’ve known a lot of people that applied for a 90-day visa, but got theirs just in 15 days or less. Also, we didn’t applied for a multiple-entry visa. I don’t know why is it taking too long.

Do you think that our applications will get denied? BTW, thank you so much for replying!


late registration po ako may baptismal po ako pero wala me form 137 pero i have doploma ok n po b sya

Hi Nina, I really have no idea. I guess you’re just gonna have to wait.

I just got the result today-

and it’s denied. Wow. Total of 51 days waiting for nothing. I wonder why it took too long if the verdict would be denied anyway where in fact they could have just sent it back to us like days or a week after applying. It’s very torturing and unproductive, tbh.


Hi po.. Tanong lang kung kailangan po bang original/pwedeng scanned copy ung requirements ng relative sa japan (ex. Guarantee letter, invitation letter, etc.)? I don’t need her as guarantor but I intended to stay in her apartment in the course of my travel. Better ba kung mag book na lang ako ng hotel and apply for tourist visa then cancel the booking later on if approved/ should I really apply for visa as Visit a Relative (medyo hassel kasi ung additional requirements)? Thank you :)

Hi Shiela, not sure if pwede ang scanned copy. Di ko pa natry na scanned. Parating original ang sinusubmit ko (except ung residence card).

If ikaw sasagot, you don’t need a guarantee letter. You just need an invitation letter and the others listed above na nag-aapply sa contact mo dun.

If you apply as a tourist naman, you don’t need to book or reserve a hotel. You just need the name, address and contact number of the hotel you intend to stay in. Di kailangan ng actual booking. If you’re employed and have the means naman, mas madali talaga mag-apply as a tourist.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I’m scared to be denied if I apply for a tourist visa since this is my first international travel and it would look as if I’m travelling alone (I’ve heard that some people are denied because of that, is that true?). In addition, if ever I’ll be denied for a tourist visa can I then apply for a visa for visiting a relative immediately or the 6 months waiting period still applies?

Hi Shiela, as far as i know, the 6 months rule will still apply.

Regarding traveling alone: I have friends who applied before and they traveled alone. Wala namang problem. I think as long as okay naman and pasado sa kanila yung mga requirements, okay lang. Although, mas malaki talaga ang chance if may travel history ka na.


Hello po, Me & my mom are planning to travel in japan, my mom has friend there that going to sponsored our trip. I will ask lang po kung possible po ba yun na dalawa kami ng mom ko sa isang sponsor? Magkahiwalay po ba kami ng application since I’m a student? Need po ba ng ITR & Bank Certificate of my mom for me? My mom been there already but still di pa rin niya po kasi kabisado yung patakaran. Thank you & God bless, sorry for a lot of questions.

I will ask lang po kung possible po ba yun na dalawa kami ng mom ko sa isang sponsor? —— Yes, pwedeng isang sponsor lang.

Need po ba ng ITR & Bank Certificate of my mom for me? —– If may guarantor, di na provided na masubmit yung requirements na kailangan from guarantor. Pabasa na lang sa taas.


Bale magkaiba po kami ng application form dba? Okay po. Salamat & God bless! :)

Yes po. Magkaiba kayo ng form.


Hi po may anak po akong 2 sa x japanese husband they are both japanese.. we are planning to go back in japan soon ano po ang kailangan na requiremnts for me? Coz my daughters they have japanese passport… for me as a mother what is d requiremnts?

Hi! Naku, hindi po namin alam kapag ganyan. Best to just contact an accredited agency directly.

gajer muksan

hi po tanong lang sa travale agency po ba kpag nag aply ka ng visit visa sa japan ikaw po ba mag decide kung ilang month or days ang stay mu sa japan

thank you po

Yep, ikaw ang magsasabi kung ilang days ang plano mo. But depende sa embassy kung iaaapprove nila based sa documents (funds/employment/etc) na isusubmit mo.

Gemma Marzon Kato

Good morning po.ask ko lang paano maka apply pa punta nang japan.ang dati ko asawa japanese.may tatlo ako anak.legally wife ako.kasal kami dito sa Pilipinas.gusto ko pupunta nang japan para ma meet ko pamilya nya.

Anne bee

Hello po galing po akong japan last may 24 at umuwi ako nong june 4 nabigyan po ako ng 15 days visa . May nag guarantor po sa aken yong fiancee ko. Plano po namin ulit mag apply ulit ng 90 days next month July po. Sa tingin nyo po okay lang po ba mag apply ulit after 1 month? 90 days. Di po ba ma de denied yon? Salamat pi sa sasagot :)

Mas strict sila in general kapag 90 days ung iaapply.

Dana Lee

Hi, I want to apply for single entry visa to Japan. I have a guarantee who pay for my trip but how much should I deposit in to my bank account? Thank you

If you have a guarantor, you don’t need to submit your own bank account. Just submit the docs needed from your guarantor as listed above.


I have been reading this thread over and over and it is really helpful. I have a question, though. I am currently applying for the 90-day visa (visiting relatives) as my sister got birth last March and they asked for help; pareho kasing nag-wowork siya and her husband. The reason behind why they need me there is to take care of their kid/ child care purposes. What are the normal questions pag nag-aaply ka nang 90-day visa? Thanks,

Hi OJ, I have no idea about 90-day visa. But some members of our community might have. You can join our Facebook group and post your question there. Baka someone knows.

Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thepoortraveler


Hi Yoshke, My friend (Filipino) plans to go to Japan with a sponsor visa from a Japanese friend. Would you know if it’s possible and allowed to look for a job there (if lucky) at the same time? Do you know someone who had experienced such case? Thank you.


Hello po…sa proof of relationship po what type of docs is needed? Thank you

We mentioned sa article sa taas po.

Danica M Eugenio

Ask ko lang po kasi pareho tayo ng situation. I have also a sister who is residing in Japan. My trip will not be sponsored by her. Ask ko lang po sa application form may nakalagay na guarantor and invinter.

Ilalagay ko po ba sa guarantor N/A

Tapos sa inviter siya?


Hi! Ms Danica ask ko lang po sana if ano po nilagay niyo kasi same situation po tayo.

at the same time dun sa portion na “Nationality and Immigration Status” ano po pala nilagay niyo dito?

thank you po in advance.

Hi Danica, di ko na matandaan yung ginawa ko. Haha. Sorry. :P

Since madali lang naman ifill out, i-blank mo na lang muna tapos i-ask mo na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply to be sure.


hi, ask ko lng is there any possibilities na ma denie ung application mo kung mlmn nilang naging tnt ka before… but it almost 7 yrs ago when they sent us home. Thank you


hi ask ko lang poz. US immigrant po ako anu po mga requirements pag gusto ko mag apply for tourist sa japan?

We have no idea po pag US immigrant.

Myra Bautista

Hi,I’m planning to visit Japan soon to visit my fiance’s sister who is sick.,my problem is I don’t have ITR but I have my bank account and properties..my fiance is a retired Japanese and staying here with me in the Philippines for 5 years..

Hi Myra, you have two options. Option 1 is to write a cover letter explaining why you don’t have an ITR. But it only works if the reason justifies it.

Option 2 is to have a guarantor. By having a guarantor, you will no longer have to submit your ITR and bank docs, but you’ll need to submit the reqs needed from guarantors, as listed above.


Hi. Question po. I already have a tourist multiple entry visa. This will be my 3rd time visiting Japan. Problem is by that time I’m already unemployed. I will stay with my boyfriend’s apartment from Dec 19-Jan 11. May I know what should I indicate with my embarkation card? Do I need his invitation letter? Also, he’s holding a student visa. I’m afraid I will be questioned by the IO for staying too long. :(

Hi! As I told in my first message, I will travel together with my fiance and he is willing to shoulder all my expenses, He is a retired Japanese living with me here in the Philippines, he doesn’t have Ute now because he is already retired.. Is it possible for him to be my guarantor even he is living now in the Philippines?

I don’t know the answer to that. Best to consult an accredited agency.

Christopher A. Botalon

How to apply fiancee visa?

How to apply fiancee visa?nasa japan po ang live in partner ko.plano ko bisitahin sa japan po nagwowork

Hi sir.good noon.ask ko lng po kung paanong paraan ko mabibisita ang fiancee ko sa japan?meron po bang fiancee visa?

Hi Christopher. We have no idea po re fiance visa. :(

Des Lacida

Hi! me and my family will travel for the first time in japan for a cruise that includes a stop in korea before going back to japan. i understand that its quite difficult to get a multiple-entry visa for first time visitors. what can u suggest po? and what is the earliest possible time we can apply for the visa? april 2019 po yong cruise. tnx.

Hi Des, pwede yan. In the Multiple Entry form, you can write down the reason why you need a multiple entry visa. Maja-justify mo naman if you explain that you’re joining a cruise from Japan. Basta make sure you meet the other requirements. More info here: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2017/03/japan-visa-multiple-entry-requirements/

Hikari Morales

Hi, i have this problem kase my mom doesn’t have bank account sa japan bcuz she was blocked, though she can provide everything except bank certifcate, but somehow I have one. But the only problem is Im a student and i cannot provide the income tax return, so can the agency considered my situation or nah?

Hi Hikari, I don’t know what to advise kapag ganyang case. :(


Hi If my guarantor is from US ano need nya provide? same thing ba estated above na requirements for with guarantor? anyway i have work naman for 2 years and have 80k in my bank account. and we travelled some asian countries, i ask my fiancee to be my guarantor just to make sure ma grant visa ko.

Yung 80K, okay na yun. Marami akong kilala na 50K lang, naapprove na.

Not sure about the requirements pag foreigner ung sponsor eh. Best to consult a travel agency.


hi! pag sponsored po ng company/employer yung trip sa Japan, do we need bank statements to process the visa? thanks

There is a different set of requirements for business-related trips. Usually, it involves a Travel Order and business documents of your employer (among others). Check the embassy website for the complete list.


Hi. Ask ko lang. I planned to go to Japan on April,2019 to meet my boyfriend’s family before wedding namin sa Cebu. My boyfriend is a Japanese peru without guarantor ang visa na i aaply ko. Pwedi kayang e state na reason yung e meet ang parents nang boyfriend ko ? Hindi kaya ako ma question nang embassy ??

Hope to hear from you.. Thank you!!

Hi Lylie, to be honest, feeling ko laging may risk if yung reason ay about boyfriend/girlfriend.


Hi, mag travel po kami ng pamangkin ko na japanese citizen/ filipino recognized 8 years old need ko pa po bang kumuha ng dswd certificate dahil minor sya? Ang mother nya po sister ko, housewife po ako and my husband is a civil engineer in dubai sya po sponsor ko sa travel ano pong need na documents, Purpose lang namin is magvacation dun ang anak ng sister ko for 3 weeks.

Hi Melody, para sa Immigration ba?

If Japanese citizen sya, I don’t think need ng DSWD clearance. Yung pamangkin ko, nung nagka-resident card sya, hindi na sya nirerequire ng DSWD clearance. Nag-try kami mag-apply dati pero hindi na kami binigyan ng DSWD. Di raw need. I’m guessing it applies to citizens too.

To be safe, call the regional DSWD office and confirm.


Is it okay to apply for visa this year but travel date will be 6months after? Schedule not definite for the travel.

Hi! Usually, yung visa ay nag-eexpire after 3 months (90 days), so ideally, ang earliest na pag-apply ay 3 months before.


Hi. Okay lang po ba kung Bank certificate lang ang masusubmit? Invite ko kasi mom ko and 4 months palang ako dito sa Japan.

Hi jackblack, ang alam ko, kahit one lang dun sa 3 ay okay lang. Nung first time kasi ako na nagapply na visiting relatives, di rin all 3 yung sinubmit. Pero best talaga if all 3.


Hi po. Ask ko lng po kasi im already a permanent resident here in japan and i have a friend sa pinas now i want to invite here in japan kasi tagal n namin d nagkita and makapag bonding kami uli but its not her first time to come in japan shes living there before and deported for overstaying but it was 10 years ago, they will allow her again just a short time visit?

Hi Mika, naku, I’m not that familiar with the rules covering that. My guess is it’s going to affect her application because it could still be on her record.


hello po ask lng yoshke ang husband ko po plan to visit his half sister in japan ..same requirements lng po ba yun like sa whole siblings if not ano po ang need documents para don? tnks po

Hi Monette, di ko po alam if may additional docs pag half-siblings. Pero yung tinitingnan kasi nila sa birth certificate ay kung may in common na parent. Feeling ko, if may common na parent naman sa birth certificates, ok lang yun. Pero feeling ko lang po yan. Best to contact the travel agencies na lang po. Yung numbers ay andito: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2018/08/japan-visa-travel-agency-official/


hi. I would like to apply for a tourist visa with a guarantor which is my Mom who is also travelling with me. In the application form, there is a guarantor section. Does it pertain only to guarantor from Japan or I should fill it up also with my mother’s info? thank you!

Hi Sha, yung experience ko when I joined a friend na mag-apply, dun niya sinulat ung guarantor nya na based in PH. Di ko lang alam if ganun pa rin ngayon.


Hello Po good pm ask ko lang Po meron Po ako fiance and then siya Po magiging gruarantor ano po mas maganda visa ang kukunin kasi gusto Po niya 90 days Po Thank you Po .

Mas mahirap kunin ang 90 days na visa and mas prone na ma-deny yun.

Call na lang the travel agency kung saan mo balak mag-apply for details.


Hello, may question ako. May plan kami magpunta ng Japan next year. Kasama ako, mama ko, friend ni mama ko (american citizen) pati yung nephew ng friend ng mama ko. Ngayon, ang balak ng friend ng mama ko na american citizen is sponsoran kami papunta sa japan. Lahat ng expenses sa kanya. My question now is kaming iisponsoran kailangan din ba magsend ng ITR, bank accounts? Or kung meron man na requirements. Anu-ano po sila? Maraming salamat sa sagot.

Hi Anne, may bibisitahin ba kayo sa Japan? Or as tourist lang?

If as tourist lang, pabasa na lang ng post na ‘to kasi nakasulat naman lahat ng requirements: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2013/11/japan-visa-requirements-manila-philippines/


Hi! I plan to visit Tokyo on March 2019 for 7 days, but I will be staying at a friend’s home. I don’t have the residence certificate yet but if ever, okay lang po ba na mag-apply ako for tourist visa instead of for Visiting Friends/Relatives?

Then can I just show the invitation letter and residence cert. at immigration instead?

Also, can you please advise which of the two visa types will I have a higher chance of approval? Since this will be my first solo trip abroad, and my first time abroad after a long time. I’ve also read about how they’re cautious towards single females who have no established travel history. I employed naman po and have sufficient balance in my bank account (based on this post).

Thanks so much!

Hi Ali, I’ve done that before, although not intentional. I applied for a tourist visa for a trip to Kansai but that trip was cancelled. Later on, I had to visit my sister in Tokyo, so I used the same visa. I didn’t have any problem. So I think it’s okay. I’m not sure though.

The better visa type is the one that you can support better. If your funds are not that big, better na Visit Visa and have an Inviter/Guaranter. Pero if kaya naman ng financial and employment docs mo to stand on their own, Tourist Visa is simpler and cheaper.

Hi! Thanks for the response!

Another question po. If I do get approved, is it okay to present a scanned copy nalang of the invitation letter to immigration on the date of departure? Or would they still look for the original copy?

Hi ALi, I don’t know for sure. Pero you can just have the original to be sure.

Xii Lah

good eve po . ask ko lang po sana nkapag apply po ako extension visa for my parents for temporary visiting here in japan nung dec 28 but Jan11 po ma expired po visa nila which is kakarating lng po ng hagaki ngaun po sa bahay d po ba magkakaproblema yun ? tsaka kung hindi man po pwede po ba sa friday ko na ipupunta sa immigration ung hagaki na dumating kasi po total nkalagay nmn po vali til jan 24 pa po sya .

Hi Xii Lah, di ko po naintindihan yung question nyo. :(

And wala rin po akong alam sa extension visa.

ay ganun po ba extension of stay kasi ung tatanong ko sana .

Ah, naku, wala po ako idea pag extension. Sorry po. :(


Hello po, Goodmorning, ask ko lang po sana kung kelan pwedeng mag apply ulit for japan visa for visiting relatives. Kakauwi lng po kasi namin last year December. nabigyan po ako japan visa june . kailangan pa po ba maghintay ng six months? salamat po. :)

Nope, di mo kelangan maghintay ng 6 months kung di ka naman denied.

Ako ung nag-apply for my cousin for VISITING RELATIVES visa na kakauwi lang din namin from Japan ng November Week 1 tapos need na bumalik ng December Week 1 so November Week 3 pa lang, nag-apply na kami ulit, wala namang naging problema.


Hello just want to ask pagdating sa immigration my husband is inviter lang hindi ko sya ginawang guarantor i dont need to have AOS tama po ba pagdating sa immigration? Also new format na yung Invitation letter wala ng signature ok lang kaya yun?

Ganun po ba. Salamat po sa info.

Hello, Miss Kathryn! Navisahan ka ba? Sorry for intruding. Same case lng kasi sa akin and I got denied


Since 2019 na po today, pero wala pa pong nirerelease na ITR for 2018. Yung 2017 ITR pa rin po ba yung isusubmit?

Hi Kyla, yep, pwede pa yang 2017 ngayon. :)


hello po ask ko lang po sana yung sa letter of invitation and guarantor letter na pini-fill upan ng mag iinvite sayo pa japan okay lang bang ipasa sa agency un ng naka japanese words (since ung guarantor ata mag provide non) pag mag aapply ng tourist visa or fiancee visa? diko po kasi masyado na gets sa part na yon.

Di ko po sure pero ang alam ko po okay lang yun na in Japanese.


ung asawa kong hapon ang guarantor para kunin ang mother and brother ko sa pinas papunta dito sa japan. pero ako naman ung nag iinvite…. ung pinasa nila ang papel sa agency. ung copy license ng asawa ko binalik nila or di nila tinanggap, kundi residence card ko lang kinuha nila. pero dati dati kinukuha naman nila ung license ng asawa ko. 3 times na kasi nagpupunta dito mother ko lang. ngayun dalawa sila sabay kukunin ko. nagtaka lang ako na bakit di na kailangan ang copy ng id license ng asawa ko.

Hi cent_derela, by “kukunin”, what do you mean exactly?


Hi po ask ko lang po sana kung halimbawa pong walang bank account malaki po ba chance na madenied? government employee po ako for 9years na din po gusto ko lang po mgtravel sa japan first time ko po at ako lang din po mag isa, o mas okay po ba magtanong na lang po sa accredited na travel agency? Thank you po

If wala po kayo bank account, best to have a sponsor po na ideally immediate family member para bank account nila ung isusubmit.


Gud pm sir! Nabigyan po ako ng 15 days visa as a tourist tapos gusto kong mag apply ng multiple kakauwi ko lang jan 4 2019.kailan po ba ako pwedeng mag apply

Hi Bell, pwede naman anytime. Ang alam ko wala namang limit yun. Naranasan ko nang mag-apply within the same month ng pag-uwi ko from Japan, wala namang naging problem.

Hello, Yoshke! I just want to ask if you have tried applying for visa two days after you arrived here in Philippines? Kauuwi ko lang from Japan ng Feb. 4, 2019. I stayed there for 186 days(lumampas ng 8 days ang extension ko dahil hindi agad nirelease ng Japanese Immigration but I know there’s no problem coz we applied 2 weeks before my visa expiry and it was indicated that my application was on process already)

Anyway, bago ako umuwi I messaged the travel agency where I always apply my visa- that was my 3rd time in Japan, I asked kung kelan ako pwedeng mag apply uli and they responded, ‘pwede na po mag apply agad pagkauwi nyo pero nasa Japan Embassy pa rin kung mavivisahan kayo’. With that nagkaroon ako ng hope na mavisahan uli agad because I think my reason was valid. I am taking care of my half Japanese nephew. Sister ko ang guarantor ko and she is a single mother. My nephew’s class schedules are from 8am until 2:55pm(Mondays & Tuesdays) 8am until 3:45(Wednesdays) 8am until 2:45(Thursdays) and Fridays are same as Wednesday. My sister works from 8am-3pm but leaves apartment at 7:45 to catch the bus and arrives apartment at 3:45pm. Depends on what time the bus will arrive at the stop…. Her workplace is like 45 minutes walk and most of the time nale-late ang bus kaya nakakauwi na ang nephew ko bago pa sya makauwi… Our apartment is located at the 3rd floor at naexperience ko ng mag slide once kaya nag aalala ako para sa nephew ko na kahit 9 years old na eh parang 6 yrs old lang… Anyway again, after 3 days may resulta na ang visa application ko. Denied at alam naman natin that Japan Embassy do not tell the reason as to why the visa application was denied. Ang gusto ko lang malaman ay kung pde ba akong mag apply ng appeal? Wala kasing ibang ma iinvite tlaga ang sister ko para mag alaga sa anak nya. And I also want to know kung bakit sinabi ng agency na I can apply as soon as I arrived in Philippines gayong madedeny naman pala. Thanks and sorry for my long message

Hi Eloisa, naku, di ko alam if pwede mag-appeal. :(

Pero tama naman yung agency nyo, wala naman yun sa gaano ka-soon ka nag-apply ulit. Kasi last November lang, I applied for my cousin na less than 2 weeks lang after nya makabalik, naapprove naman.

Ang feeling ko na naka-taint sa application mo was the fact na lumagpas ka sa extension ng previous visa mo. And whether or not kasalanan mo yun or kasalanan ng Japanese Immigration, I don’t think may time sila to check or verify given na ang dami nilang pina-process in a day. They only have a few minutes to assess each application so if may something off, baka dine-deny na nila agad. Speculation ko lang naman yan.

Pero ayun, di ko alam kung paano dapat gawin. :(


Hi, i’ll be applying for a tourist visa for april 2019 trip. i already have plane tickets and hotel booking (with free cancellation) but my friend who is working in japan said i can stay at her place instead para makasave sa accomodation cost. My worry is paano pag immigration will ask me saan ako mag stay, pwede ko kaya sabihin na sa friend ko ako magstay kahit nakatourist visa ako?


Possible po kaya na maapprove po kami ng multiple visa entry if first time lang namin mag visit ng japan?

Ang plano po sana namin 5 days in tokyo (since relative ng friend ko nagstay sa tokyo japan) . Then pupunta kami ng osaka and magstay po kami for 3 days. ang entry po namin tokyo and exit po ay osaka?

Hi Cathe, ang alam ko, pag visit visa, malabong mag-multiple pag first time. Mas ok pag as tourist and dapat marami kang funds. For more info about Multiple Entry Visa, check out: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2017/03/japan-visa-multiple-entry-requirements/

Edgar Jose

What are requirements for senior citizens who will just spend a vacation in Japan for 10 days?


Hi ask ko lang if naapproved ka ng 3months kelan ka uli pwede mag apply for japan visa pero invitation lang is friend? Thanks


Hello! I have a question. What if my Japanese citizen cousin will be the one who will invite me and be my guarantor? Is it still fall under the close relatives? And for the proof of relationship? Ex: My BC –> Mom’s BC —> Aunt’s BC —> Cousin’s BC/Koseki Tohon Is it correc/t Thank you!

Hi Mikka, sa definition nila ng close relative, di kasama ang cousin pero I was able to apply for a family member na ang inviter/guarantor ay first cousin din sa Japan and yep, yung birth cert nya + parent’s + inviter’s parent’s + cousin’s ang ginamit. Kaya lang, Pinoy ung inviter sa casa na un. I think okay lang kahit Japanese.

Nenita t. Ramos

Hello ma’am we’re planning to visit japan this sept, am62years old i have a phil. passport and used already when we traveled in singapore and vietnam. My worries now is that my birthcert was a late registered i have no baptismal cert. And have no form 137 ihave a high school diploma voters cert and marriage cert. drivers license also. would this be enough docs to show for applying a japan visa pls reply. Thank you.

Hi po! Best to consult na lang po an accredited travel agency for this kasi di ko po alam pag ganito ung case. :(


Hi! I am 21 and was planning to visit Tokyo on my own. I have a job kaso here in Riyadh kaso bago lang po ako dito which I think did not help with my visa application. I tried to appeal their decision kaso di na daw pwede.

Meron po kaming relative sa Japan, third cousin ko siya (yung dad niya po pinsan ng lola ko). Ang problem po kasi di ko siya nakausap or nakita before pero may contact parin naman po sila ng mga tita ko and she agreed to be my guarantor. Should I still apply for the visa or try nalang after 6 months?

Hello. Naku, sorry po, di ko pa alam what to advise. Pero if I were in your shoes, hintay po ako ng 6 months.


Hi, Question, meron ba hinihingi docs yung japan immigration in the visa applicant is invite? Or the passport with visa is enough?

In my experience, parating passport and visa lang. BUT to be safe, best to have proof of accommodations and return ticket. Ang PH Immigration, madalas hinihingi yan.


Hi yoshke Im planning to invite my sister here in japan, they my sister need a medical certificate?

Gemmabel nakayama

Hi po tanong ko po anong aapply namin a visa po nandon po kasi asawa ko japanese po 4days lang po kami don. Ehh dito lang po kami kasal sa Pilipinas d po kami kasal japan ano pong visa po tourist po ba visiting relatives po patulong po lamat ng madami


Hi just want to ask, pag nag pasa ba ng COE and ITR tatawagan ba ng embassy yun company na pinapasukan ko para i verify? thanks!

Pwede nilang tawagan. Although sa experience ko, never pa natawagan ung employer ko.


Hi, i’ll be applying for a tourist visa for July 2019 trip.but my aunt who is working in japan said i can stay at her place instead para makasave sa accomodation cost. My worry is paano pag immigration will ask me saan ako mag stay, pwede ko kaya sabihin na sa aunt ko ako magstay kahit nakatourist visa ako?

Floyd Cyrus Baltazar

Hi. May concern lang aku kasi ang situation namin is visiting kami. Mama at kapatid ng partner ko nsa japan. Kami naman ang gagastos ng expenses namin pero dun kami sa bahay ng mother mag stay. Need parin ba namin mag request ng guarantee letter to prove na may matutuluyan kami? Or di na namin need dahil kami naman ang gagastos sa expenses namin. Feel ko kasi same tayo ng situation nung nag visit ka sa sister mo. Dun ka nag stay sakanila pero ikaw ang nag shoulder ng expenses own expenses mo. Thanks ahead sa reply! Much appreciated

Sa experience ko po, since ako ang sasagot ng trip ko, di na ako nag-guarantee letter.


Hi Yoshke! Just want to ask if sa IO, hahanapan pa din ba ng AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT kapag visiting a relative (my Filipino husband) kahit na ako pa rin magshoulder ng expenses ko and magstay lang ako sakanya for a week before we go around Japan the next two weeks? I have my visa already.

what happened po hinanapan po kayo ng AOS kahit ikaw naman po magfinance ng trip?


Helo poh im anne. We planned po ng sister ng furture husband ko na mag visit ako sa kanila sa japan and der weling to become my guarantor poh. 3 months daw yong visa ko to stay. Wat if po gusto to ko pang mag stay longer po. Pwd po bah kami mag apply ng extension for another 3 months poh??

Hi Anna, di po ako familiar sa rules pag extension. :(


If travelling with guarantor po, ano po mostly need ni PH immigration on the day of departure aside sa unexpired passport with valid visa and return ticket?

This might help: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2014/03/offloaded-philippine-immigration-rules-requirements-airport/


Hello ask ko lang anu requirments if i will travel with my bf. Pero ang bf ko nasa US sya. Sya po sponsor ko.so magkikita nalang kami sa Japan

Hi Pearl, check out this post instead if you’re traveling as a tourist: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2013/11/japan-visa-requirements-manila-philippines/

Jen tak

Hello! I want to invite my sister here in Japan next year but the problem is that I’m a housewife. Is it ok to apply for visiting family visa? My Japanese husband will cover some of my sister’s expenses and my sister will also have her own pocket money. Is it ok to be the guarantor? Can my husband act as my sister’s guarantor too since I’ll submit his itr ?Is it ok just to submit my husband’s documents ? And also is it better to buy air tickets before applying ? We’re actually waiting for a seat sale.thank you

Hi Jen tak, I think okay lang if your husband is the guarantor. You’ll just need to prove yung relationship. I think birth certificate mo and ng sister mo, and marriage certificate mo with your husband. :)

To be sure, call na lang din the agency where you will lodge your application.


Hello po, i just wanna ask if yung guarantee letter po is notarized? And may idea po kayo how much show money ang ideclare for the guarantor. Yung mom ko po kasi guarantor ko kasi student pa lang po ako. and kaming dalawa po yung mag travel to Japan for 5 days. Thank you!

Hi April, di ko alam kapag ang sponsor is hindi taga-Japan. Parang di naman kailangan na notarized especially kung sabay yung application nyo.

You’re visiting a friend or relative in Japan, right?


Hello po ask ko lang po kung gaano katagal po yung process po nung visa kapag na denied po. Na denied po kasi yung inaapply kopo na tourist visa then pinagaapply po ulit ako ng agency ng visit relatives visa para hindi napo ako mag wait ng 6months. Then ask kopo if pwede po na yung gurantor kopo if mother ko kasi student palang po ako. Kung pwede po ano po yung requirements po niya. Thank you po.


Hi guys just want to share my experience recently. I applied for a tourist Visa last month at Attic Tours SM North. They did not include my COE and they accepted my bank cert with only 60k for 8days stay in Japan. After 2 days i got the result it was denied. It was devastating coz I already purchased my plane ticket for august trip. I decided to reapply with different purpose, to Visit a Friend since im going to visit my Filipino boyfriend working there.

I completed all the requirements (docs from my boyfriend), included my COE, approved leave, flight itinerary, hotel booking, etc. and submitted 2 bank certs (about 200k+ total). I applied at UHI Dusit Makati last week they accepted my reapplication. They are very accommodating. I even went to padre pio and quiapo church to pray for my visa approval. Luckily, I got my Visa after 2 days and it was approved.

Hope this helps for those who got their toursit Visa denied. Thank you so much for this blog I followed all the instructions and tips you provided.

Thanks for sharing this, May!


Question lang po, Meron po akong ME tourist Visa that i’ve used once last December. This coming August po may planned trip ako to Tokyo but this time i’ll be staying in my friends house. Would it be ok if i write my friends address sa immigration form? do i need to provide additional document? or do i need to apply for a new visa under visiting a friend/relative? Or would be ok if i just create a mock-up booking and write the hotel’s address instead since i’m just staying for 9 days?

Hi Felipe, I think it’s okay to write your friend’s address. I do it all the time.


My cousin and i are planning to travel to Japan, together with my mom and her mom (they are siblings), the invitation would come from our mom’s sister in Japan, but the guarantor would be my the husband of my aunt in Japan, is it allowed?

sofia quijano

good day po long term visa ko ako dito s japan (mother of a japanese national) gusto ko po sana kunin ang nanay ko at pamankin ko as visiting relatives mabigyan po kaya sila ng visa ? me work po ako kaso d ako nagbabayad tax. pero meron ako yokin sandaka shomensho. thank you in advance.

Hi Cha, yes, I think that’s okay. You just need to prove the relationship.

Hi Sofia, naku, di ko po alam. Best to contact a travel agency po para sigurado.

elmer capulong

hi po ask ko lng my aunt invites to visit her in she has parkinsons the problem is i have my PSA birth certificate but my mother sister ng aunt ko have no records in PSA but i check with my parents marriage contract it shows my mother ‘s parents same as to my aunt and its has PSA copy of it can i use it as subtitute to my mothers birth certificate as prescribed


Hi Yoshke Dimen, I’m Cat. I am planning to see Japan this November. It’s only a 4-5 days trip. Plano ko din kasi i-meet ang cousin ko from Nagano. It is advisable na kaming 2 ng husband ko ang mag-apply ng Visa since sya talaga ang may fixed employment or okay lang ba na ako lang ang mag-apply at sya ang guarantor ko. I’m quite scared kasi na ma-deny. Medyo heartbreaking! hehe. Please enlighten, many thanks.

If Visit Visa, pwede rin na ang cousin mo sa Japan ang mag-guarantor. Madali lang naman iprove ang relationship kung first cousins kayo.

Okay lang naman if yung husband mo ang guarantor kasi normal naman na yung spouse ang guarantor. You just need to submit marriage certificate. Basta okay naman ang finances and employment status ni husband?

Pero in my opinion, if husband mo ang guarantor tapos andito sya sa Pilipinas, less complicated kung Tourist Visa ang iapply.


Good day po! I’ve been there last June 2019 and kababalik ko lang last August 2019 at planning to re apply again maybe next year hopefully. Possible ho ba na mag apply for 180 days? or maximum na talaga yung 90 days sa (relative visit)

Ay, di ko po alam. :(


I have a car company. how can i get visit visa invitation for my business?


Good day po!

I just want to ask, i have a relative in Japan and let’s say i will stay in her house. But she will not sponsor my trip. Do i still need to include that i have a relative there to visit but well in fact i will just go there for tourism. I will just stay in her place. What will you suggest? Will apply solely for tourist? Instead of applying for visiting a relative, cause as i can see it’s more complicated if that’s not really the reason of the trip.

Hope to hear from you.

I always side kasi with the truth, so if I were in your shoes, I would still apply for a Visit Relative visa kahit na mas mahal sya and mas maraming requirements. But that’s just me.

But there are also a lot of applicants na ganyan ang case who choose to apply for a Tourist Visa and enter hotel details na lang kasi nga mas madali and mas mura.

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree with you. I also want to be honest. I’m confused.

Kasi i asked my cousin what to apply and she told me it is better if i will just apply for tourist visa but i can still put her home address. What do you think about her idea? I made a comment here because i know you could help me or enlighten me. Hehe..

i’m a follower of this site, you helped me with my dubai visa last yr. I really appreciate your time for answering my queries.

Thank you so much

In my opinion, kapag ganyan, baka maging confusing sa mag-aassess and pagdudahan ka pa.

If you’re staying with a relative, technically, you are visiting a relative, so makakagulo if tourist visa aapplyan mo tapos you’re declaring na you’re staying with a relative.

Alright then, will take note of that. Thank you so much


Hi! I’m staying with a friend in Japan next month, my Visa has been approved. Do I still need an invitation letter from my friend? I’ll be staying at her house in Tokyo and a hotel in Osaka. Will the immigration officers ask for an invitation letter since I don’t have a hotel booking in Tokyo? If yes, do I still follow the invitation letter format for visa application? Thanks in advance! :)

1. What’s your first stop? Osaka or Tokyo?

2. Are you employed?

3. Is it your first time to travel abroad?

1. We changed our itinerary, we are now going to be staying in Tokyo for 6 days and will not go to Osaka anymore. 5 nights at a friend’s house and 1 night in a hotel.

2. I am employed as a freelancer but I have a COE and a company ID from the current company I am working for

3. Not my first time, I already went to SG, TH and Taiwan.

If you’re nervous na baka harangin ka ng Immigration, the best document to have is an authenticated Invitation Letter.

But the thing is, hindi sya parating hinihingi ng Immigration Officer. Yung madalas na hingan ng ganyan ay yung first time mag-travel abroad na may ivivisit. So ako, pag nagvivisit ako sa sister ko sa Japan, I usually just bring company ID (or COE from my clients when I was a freelancer) and yung Letter of Invitation/Guarantee na ginamit sa visa application. Di rin naman hinihingi.

I guess, what I’m trying to say is, it depends on how confident you are. If you want to be on the safe side, you can get an embassy-authenticated document. But there is a big chance na hindi ka rin hihingan nun since you’re employed and it’s not your first time.

Re: Hi! I’m staying with a friend in Japan next month..

Also, my visa was approved without an invitation letter.


HI Kim! Just want to know if the visa you applied is “Visiting a friend” since you’ve mentioned you will be staying at your friend’s house? And if you did applied for “visiting a friend”, isn’t required to submit an invitation letter as well? I’m planning to visit my boyfriend in Japan this coming April and will be staying at his apartment but I will be shouldering all of my expenses. Thanks in advance.


Hi ask ko lng po if magapply ako ng visiting relative sa japan kahit na sister in law ko nagbigay ng papers at brother in law? Asawa po kasi ako ng kapatid na ngbigay papers skn, considered parin ba un as visiting relative?

Sarah Jane Baring

Questions lang po, Manggagaling po kami sa Pinas lahat 1. ) Yung nanay ko po kasi guaguarantor nya po ang tatay ko na unemployed, pero si nanay po is working in America Green card holder but not yet citizen. Okay lang po ba na yung ITR nya at bank certificate from America lahat kasi wala po sya pag galing pinas eh? 2. ) Guaguarantor po ako at ang anak ko ng brother ko ,sabay po kami magaapply buong family, okay lang po ba kung photocopy nalang po ang isubmit namin ng anak ko na ITR,bank statement,PSA nya kasi nasaknya po yung original yun kasi ang ipapasa nya magaapply din kasi sya ng visa, pero 2nd time na po nya sa JApan. 3. ) Yung married friend ko po isasama nya anak nya na student, guarantoran nya, okay lang po ba photocopy nalang din yung marriage contract,PSA ,ITR,bank cert ang ipasa nya for his daughter kasi ung orig ipapasa nya for his visa rin eh. SAka ano po ba additional need na requirements pag student?

LATE REGISTER SA NSO ang tatay ko wala naman syang school requirements or baptismal??


Hi Yosh! Just really curious about this kung may difference ba or nakastate ba sa visa category kung visiting relatives ka kapag visiting relatives visa ang iniapply mo or same as tourist visa lang na ang nakalagay na category is temporary visitor?


is it possible for my girlfriend to come and stay in Japan for a month if I(working visa holder) were to sponsor her?


Hello po! Thank you for the info! I just have a question, I have a working visa here in Japan, and I would like to sponsor my girlfriend with that kind of visa po (visa for visiting a friend) would that be possible? Since she’s not really a “friend”. Should I say on the invitation about our relationship? I’m really not sure if they’ll believe us because me and my girlfriend are both girls.


Hello po, if tourist visa po ba sa japan ng 6months, may possible way po ba para maka pag work po?

Bawal po mag work ang tourist visa as far as I know. You need stamp po sa likod ng residence card to be able to work. :)


Hello po, Charisma here. I am waiting to reopen Japan again. I just wanna ask about my situation regarding about my visa application. My Boyfriend invited me to visit him in Japan po, do you think I have a big chance na maaprobahan ang visa application ko po? He’s a Japanese citizen and a German citizen as well. He has his own company for about 10 years there in Japan. We’ve known each other for 2 years, and when I was working in Singapore he visits me there every month,we met at least 4 times. Pero nuong nagumpisa na ang corona virus hindi na siya makatravel to see me. I hope you could answer my question. Thanks po


Hi my sister will sponsor me, and her fiancé is a navy. What requirements my sister needed ?


Hi ask ko lang kung pwede nalang i email sakin yung invitation letter then i print ko nalang or kailangan ipadala pa dito sa pinas from japan?

Hi Chloe. Not sure po kung pwede email. Sa case ko po kasi, ina-ask ko dati yung ate ko na ipadala saken yung physical copy so yun pa lang po natry ko.


Hello. May I ask coz I just got married last August with my Filipino husband whose work is based in Japan. He’s been here for 6 months already but he’s expected to return to Japan in November. Since our PSA marriage cert is not yet available in PSA, we cannot process the dependent visa yet coz the processing (incl. COE) may took for months and I have a flight this December. Is it okay if I apply for the sponsor visa (visiting relative) even if spouse is not included on it? Appreciate your help po. Thank you po.

Hi Jie, I don’t know for sure, but I think you could because a spouse is considered within third degree of relationship. The challenge is proving your marriage if you don’t have marriage certificate yet. You might want to find an alternative supporting document and explain it.

To be absolutely sure, since Japan utilizes travel agencies, it’s best to contact a designated travel agency and ask them about what to do since you’ll be coursing the application through them anyway.

But please note that if applying for a short term visit visa (visiting relatives), honor and follow the restrictions allowed by that visa.

Ivy May Gabais

Good Day Sir! What if I will visit my OFW husband in Japan? And kailangan ko bang documents na ipakita as proof of relationship namin is young marriage certificate po? Walt quasi door sa sample Inyo yung husband po. Thank you.


Hi, thank you for all the information. It is very helpful and informative.

I just have a question. My Japanese boyfriend is currently working here in PH and he has a working visa. Now, we are planning to visit his home in Japan soon. Should I apply for a visit visa? Does the requirements still the same even if he is working here in PH?

Where will you be staying in Japan? Hotel or your bf’s home?

I will be staying in hotel but we will visit his home as well

My bf’s home po.

And if hotel po what would be the difference when it comes to requirements

Usually kasi, if you’re staying sa house ng resident doon, then VISIT visa. Tapos usually, most agencies prefer na pag TOURIST VISA, sa hotel.


Hi, ask ko lang po kung anong ilalagay sa application form kung di ko relative yung guarantor? mother siya ng boyfriend ko, thank you

I think under Friend na sya? Di ko sure

Featured On


We heard you!

Your comment is now queued for moderation! We’ll try to get back to you soonest. While waiting, follow us on these channels.

Subscribe on Youtube! Follow us on Instagram!

We heard you!

Caution October 19, 2023

Worldwide caution, update january 10, 2024, information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.

  • Travel Advisories |
  • Contact Us |
  • MyTravelGov |

Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates

Travel.state.gov, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.

Before You Go

Learn About Your Destination

While Abroad


Share this page:

Travel Advisory January 8, 2024

Japan - level 1: exercise normal precautions.

Japan – Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Reissued after periodic review without changes.

Exercise normal precautions in Japan.

Read the  country information page  for additional information on travel to Japan.

If you decide to travel to Japan: 

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Follow Embassy Tokyo’s American Citizen Services section on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Review the  Country Security Report  for Japan.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest  Travel Health Information  related to your travel.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the  Traveler’s Checklist .

Embassy Messages

View Alerts and Messages Archive

Quick Facts

Duration of intended period of stay. Please note you cannot travel on a passport you have previously declared as lost or stolen even if you subsequently locate it

One page required for entry stamp

Amounts equivalent to ¥1,000,000 or above subject to declaration

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Tokyo  1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420 Japan Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-3-3224-5856 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe 2-11-5, Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543, Japan Telephone: 81-6-6315-5900 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-6-6315-5914 Our  Navigator Assistant  will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Naha 2-1-1 Toyama, Urasoe City, Okinawa, Japan Telephone: 81-98-876-4211 Emergency Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-98-876-4243 Our  Navigator Assistant  will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Sapporo Kita 1-jo Nishi 28-chome, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 064-0821, Japan Telephone: 81-11-641-1115 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-11-641-1115 Fax: 81-11-643-1283 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. All assistance at the Consulate General Sapporo is by appointment only.

U.S. Consulate Fukuoka 5-26 Ohori 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0052, Japan Telephone: 81-92-751-9331 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-92-713-9222 [email protected] Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. Routine services are provided by appointment only.

U.S. Consulate Nagoya Nagoya International Center Bldg. 6th floor, 1-47-1 Nagono, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 450-0001, Japan Telephone: 81-52-581-4501 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-52-581-3190 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. Emergency services are provided by U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe. 

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Japan for information on U.S-Japan relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the  Embassy of Japan  website for the most current visa information.

There are no COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens.

Entry & Exit:

  • You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.
  • You cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry.
  • "Visa free" entry status may not be changed to another visa status without departing and then re-entering Japan with the appropriate visa, such as a spouse, work, or study visa.
  • Visit the Embassy of Japan website for the most current information on all visa categories.
  • Japanese immigration officers may deny you entry if you appear to have no visible means of support. 
  • All foreign nationals are required to provide fingerprint scans and to be photographed at the port of entry. Exceptions to this requirement include diplomatic and official visa holders, minors, and individuals covered under SOFA Article IX.2. For further information about landing procedures, please visit the  Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website . 
  • Make sure your passport is valid. Note you cannot travel on a passport you have previously declared as lost or stolen even if you subsequently locate it. Japanese authorities will likely deny you entry into Japan if you attempt to do so. If you have reported your passport lost or stolen, you must apply for a new passport before travel.

Transiting Japan: 

  • Ensure that your passport and visa are valid and up-to-date before you leave the United States. Passport services are not available at the airport.
  • Airlines in Japan may deny you boarding for transit if you do not have the required travel documents for an onward destination in another country or if your passport does not have six months of validity remaining. For the entry requirements of the country you are traveling to, visit the  State Department's Country Specific Information  website.

Military/SOFA Travelers:  While active-duty U.S. military personnel may enter Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with proper Department of Defense (DoD) identification and travel orders, all SOFA family members, civilian employees, and contractors must have valid passports to enter Japan. Please consult the  DOD Foreign Clearance Guide  before leaving the United States.

See  the Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website  for various immigration procedures.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions:  The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Japan. 

Find information on  dual nationality ,  prevention of international child abduction  and  customs regulations  on our websites.

Safety and Security

For police services in Japan, dial 110. For fire or ambulance services, dial 119.

Crime:  Crime against U.S. citizens in Japan is generally low and usually involves personal disputes, theft, or vandalism. In addition:

  • Robberies committed after a victim has been drugged from a spiked drink can occur, especially in nightlife districts.
  • Sexual assaults are not often reported, but they do occur, and victims may be randomly targeted.  Victim's assistance resources or shelters are difficult for foreigners to access.
  • Hate-related violent crimes rarely occur, although some U.S. citizens have reported being the target of discrimination because of their nationality or their race.
  • Pick pocketing can occur in crowded shopping areas, on trains, and at airports.
  • Police reports must be filed before leaving Japan, as Japanese police will not accept reports filed from overseas. 
  • In instances involving credit card theft or fraud, Japanese police often provide a report number rather than a police report.  You can provide this report number to your credit card company to confirm the incident with the police.

Entertainment and Nightlife Districts in Tokyo: 

  • Exercise caution in all entertainment and nightlife districts throughout Japan, especially Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro. 
  • Incidents involving U.S. citizens in these areas include physical and sexual assaults, drug overdoses, theft of purses, wallets, cash and credit cards at bars or clubs, and drugs slipped into drinks. 
  • Drink spiking at bars and entertainment venues, especially in areas such as Roppongi and Kabuki-cho, near Shinjuku, has led to robbery, physical and sexual assaults, and credit card fraud.  Some victims regain consciousness in the bar or club; other victims may awaken on the street or other unfamiliar locations.
  • U.S. citizens have reported being threatened with gun or knife violence in such venues so that they will pay exorbitant bar tabs or withdraw money.  U.S. citizens have also reported being beaten when they have refused to pay or hand over money.
  • There have been reports of U.S. citizens being forcibly taken to ATMs and robbed, or made to withdraw funds after being unable to pay exorbitant bar tabs.
  • Please be aware that Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, and other entertainment and nightlife districts have also been the scenes of violence between criminal syndicates. 

See the  Department of State  and the  FBI  pages for information on scams. 

Police reports must be filed at the nearest police station prior to departure from Japan. The Japanese police cannot accept reports filed from overseas. Report crimes to the local police at 110 and contact the U.S. Embassy at 03-3224-5000 (011-81-3-3224-5000 from overseas).  Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on  help for U.S. victims of crime overseas .

  • help you find appropriate medical care;
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police;
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent;
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms;
  • provide a list of local attorneys;
  • provide information on  victim’s compensation programs in the U.S. ;
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home; and/or
  • replace a stolen or lost passport.

Contacting Police, Fire and Ambulance Services:  You can reach the police throughout Japan by dialing 110. Fire and ambulance services can be contacted by dialing 119.  Note that English-speaking dispatchers may not be available. Please review advice on  “Calling for Help” on our  website . If you need assistance, you should be able to describe your address/location in Japanese or find someone who can do so, since few police officers speak English.

Domestic Violence:  Victim's assistance resources or battered women's shelters exist in major urban areas, but are difficult for foreigners to access. These types of resources are also generally unavailable in rural areas. Investigations of sexual assault crimes are often conducted without female police officers present, and police typically ask about the victim's sexual history and previous relationships.

Tourism:  The Victim's assistance resources or battered women's shelters exist in major urban areas, but are difficult for foreigners to access. These types of resources are also generally unavailable in rural areas. Investigations of sexual assault crimes are often conducted without female police officers present, and police typically ask about the victim's sexual history and previous relationships.

See our webpage for more  information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to Japanese law while you are in Japan. If you violate Japanese laws, even unknowingly, you may be arrested, imprisoned, or deported. If you are arrested in Japan,  even for a minor offense , you may be held in detention without bail for several months or more during the investigation and legal proceedings.

Some offences are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of Japanese law. For examples, see our website on  crimes against minors abroad  and the  Department of Justice  website.

The vast majority of arrests of U.S. citizens in Japan are for drug-related offenses. Japanese authorities aggressively pursue drug smugglers and users, including recreational users with sophisticated detection equipment, "sniffing" dogs, blood tests, “stop and frisk” tactics, and other methods. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking a drug that is illegal in Japan are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and fines. Please note that some drugs which may be legal in certain jurisdictions outside of Japan, including marijuana and synthetic drugs, remain illegal in Japan. This also applies to certain prescription drugs that doctors in the United States may prescribe.  Japanese law makes no distinction between medical and recreational marijuana; therefore, having a prescription for medical marijuana will not help you avoid arrest or prosecution. Even possession of a small amount of marijuana for personal medical or recreational use can result in a long jail sentence and fine. Japanese customs officials carefully screen incoming packages, and individuals who are mailed drugs can be arrested and prosecuted as drug traffickers.   

Confiscation of Prescription Drugs and Other Medication:  It is important to note that some medications that are routinely prescribed in the United States, including Adderall and marijuana, are strictly prohibited in Japan. The Japanese government decides which medications may be imported legally into Japan. The Embassy and Consulates of Japan in the United States have limited information available and do not have a comprehensive list of specific medications or ingredients. Please see more  information on importing medicines  into Japan.

You must carry your U.S. passport or Japanese Residence Card (Zairyu Kado) with you at all times. In Japan, you may be taken in for questioning if you do not have your passport or Japanese residence card to show your identity and status in Japan (e.g., as a visitor, student, worker, or permanent resident).

It is illegal to work in Japan while in tourist or visa-waiver status. Overstaying your visa or working illegally may lead to fines of several thousands of dollars, and in some cases, re-entry bans as long as 10 years, or indefinitely for drug offenders. For additional information, please see  Japan’s Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act  and contact the  Japanese Embassy  or nearest Japanese Consulate in the United States for more information.

Driving under the influence of alcohol could also land you immediately in jail. The blood-alcohol limit in Japan is 0.03%. Punishments can be up to 10,000 USD in fines and up to five years in prison.

Possession of a gun or ammunition is a crime in Japan. Carrying a knife with a locking blade, or a folding blade that is longer than 5.5 cm (a little more than two inches), is illegal in Japan. U.S. citizens and U.S. military personnel have been arrested and detained for more than 10 days for carrying pocket knives that are legal in the United States but illegal in Japan. The possession of lock-picking tools is illegal in Japan.

Establishing a Business : Individuals establishing a business or practicing a profession that requires additional permits or licensing should seek information from the competent local authorities, prior to practicing or operating a business.

A  list of English-speaking lawyers  located throughout Japan is available on our  website .

Arrest Notification : If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See the Department of State’s webpage  and the Embassy’s  website  for additional information.

Counterfeit and Pirated Goods: Although counterfeit and pirated goods are prevalent in many countries, they may still be illegal according to local laws. You may also pay fines or have to give them up if you bring them back to the United States. See the U.S. Department of Justice’s website for more information .

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

  • Faith-Based Travel Information
  • International Religious Freedom Report  – see country reports
  • Human Rights Report  – see country reports
  • Hajj Fact Sheet for Travelers
  • Best Practices for Volunteering Abroad

LGBTQI+ Travelers:  There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI+ events in Japan.

Laws governing rape, sexual commerce, and other activity involving sexual relations do not apply to same-sex sexual activity. This leads to lower penalties for perpetrators of same-sex rape and sexual assault and greater legal ambiguity surrounding same-sex prostitution.

See our  LGBTQI+ Travel Information  page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report  for further details.

Travelers with Disabilities:  The law in Japan prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities. Japanese disability laws require the public sector to provide reasonable accommodations and the private sector to make best efforts in employment, education, access to health care, or the provision of other services; however, there are no penalties for noncompliance. Social acceptance of persons with disabilities in public is not as prevalent as in the United States.

Although Japan’s accessibility laws mandate that new construction projects for public use include provisions for persons with disabilities, older buildings are not likely to have been retrofitted for accessibility. At major train stations, airports, and hotels, travelers with disabilities should encounter few accessibility problems. Note that many smaller stations are inaccessible to those who cannot climb stairs. Information on travel in Japan for travelers with disabilities is available at  Accessible Japan .

Travelers with disabilities can learn more about resources available in country from the Japan National Tourism Organization’s  traveling with a disability page .

Students:  See our  Students Abroad  page and  FBI travel tips .

Women Travelers:  See our travel tips for  Women Travelers .

Conditions at Prisons and Detention Facilities:  Japanese prisons and detention facilities maintain internal order through a regime of very strict discipline.  U.S. citizen prisoners often complain of stark, austere living conditions and psychological isolation.  Heating in winter can be inadequate in some facilities, food portions can be significantly smaller than what many may be accustomed to, and access to specialized medical care, particularly mental health care, at detention facilities and prisons is sometimes limited. Additional  information on arrests in Japan  is available on our embassy website.

Customs Regulations:  Please contact the Japanese Embassy or nearest Japanese consulate in the United States, or  visit the Japanese Customs website  for specific information regarding import restrictions and customs requirements.

Japanese customs authorities encourage the use of an Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission (ATA) Carnet in order to temporarily import professional equipment, commercial samples, and/or goods for exhibitions and trade fairs into Japan.  For additional information, please call (212) 354-4480, or  email the U.S. CIB  for details.

Pets:  The Japanese  Animal Quarantine Service  (AQS) sets procedures for importing pets. At a minimum, the process will take seven to eight months, though the process can take up to a year before a pet may enter Japan. Advance planning is critical. You can find more information about  importing a pet into Japan  or information about  exporting a pet from Japan  on our  Embassy website.

Employment Issues:  U.S. citizens should not come to Japan to work without having the proper employment visa arranged ahead of time. Teaching English, even privately, and serving as hosts/hostesses are both considered "work" in Japan and are illegal without the proper visa.

Some U.S.-based employment agencies and Japanese employers do not fully or correctly represent the true nature of employment terms and conditions. A minimum requirement for effectively seeking the protection of Japanese labor law is a written and signed work contract. If there is no signed contract, Japanese authorities are not able to act on behalf of foreign workers. If you are coming to Japan to work, carefully review your contract and the history and reputation of your Japanese employer before traveling to Japan. Complaints against U.S.-based employment agencies or recruiters may be directed to the  Better Business Bureau  or the Office of the Attorney General in the relevant state(s).

Disaster Preparedness : Japan is prone to natural disasters, including earthquakes, typhoons, tsunamis, and landslides. See the  Embassy’s  webpage for recommendations and steps you can take to prepare for an emergency. The Japan Tourism Organization’s  Safety Tips app  and  NHK World app  provide Japanese government emergency “J-Alerts” to your cell phone in English through push notifications. “J-Alerts” can provide early warning emergency alerts on earthquakes predicted in a specific area, sometimes seconds before an earthquake hits. 

Radiation: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant : The Government of Japan continues to closely monitor the conditions at and around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. You should comply with all travel restrictions and cautions put into place by the Government of Japan for areas surrounding the plant. For more information, contact the  Japan Nuclear Regulation Authority .

For police service in Japan, dial 110. For fire or ambulance, dial 119.

Ambulance services are widely available but receiving hospitals may decline to accept inbound patients unless they can provide proof of funds to pay for services.

COVID-19 Testing:

  • Travelers should contact Japanese local health providers to determine the location of testing facilities within Japan. A non-comprehensive list of some COVID-19 testing facilities can be found here on the Embassy website.

COVID-19 Vaccines:

  • The COVID-19 vaccine is available for U.S. citizens to receive in Japan.
  • Review the Government of Japan’s  English language website  on COVID-19 vaccinations in Japan.
  • Visit the FDA's website to  learn more about FDA-approved vaccines  in the United States. 

The Department of State does not pay medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare/Medicaid does not apply overseas. Most hospitals and doctors overseas do not accept U.S. health insurance.

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Some care providers in Japan only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for more information on type of insurance you should consider before you travel overseas.

We strongly recommend  supplemental insurance  to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of  Japan’s Ministry of Health website to ensure the medication is legal in Japan; possession, use, or importation of a prescription drug that is illegal in Japan may result in arrest and criminal prosecution. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. U.S. prescriptions are not honored in Japan, so if you need ongoing prescription medicine, you should arrive with a sufficient supply for your stay in Japan or enough until you are able to see a local care provider.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all  vaccinations recommended  by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

  • World Health Organization
  • U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  (CDC)

Japan has a national health insurance system which is available only to those foreigners with long-term visas for Japan. National health insurance does not pay for medical evacuation. Medical caregivers in Japan may require payment in full at the time of treatment or concrete proof of ability to pay before they will treat a foreigner who is not a member of the national health insurance plan.

U.S.-style and standard psychological and psychiatric care can be difficult to locate outside of major urban centers in Japan and generally is not available outside of Japan's major cities. Extended psychiatric care can be very difficult to obtain.

Air Quality: Visit AirNow Department of State for information on air quality at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety : Driving in Japan can be complicated and expensive. Traffic moves on the left side of the road. Those who cannot read the language will have trouble understanding road signs. Highway tolls can be very high, and city traffic is often very congested. A 20-mile trip in the Tokyo area may take two hours. There is virtually no legal roadside or curbside parking; however, traffic is commonly blocked or partially blocked by those illegally parked curbside. In mountainous areas, roads are often closed during the winter, and cars should be equipped with tire chains. Roads in Japan are much narrower than those in the United States.

Traffic Laws : Japanese law provides that all drivers in Japan are held liable in the event of an accident, and assesses fault in an accident on all parties. Japanese compulsory insurance (JCI) is mandatory for all automobile owners and drivers in Japan. Most short-term visitors choose not to drive in Japan. Turning right or left on red lights is not permitted in Japan, and all passengers are required to fasten their seat belts.

Japan has a national 0.03 percent blood-alcohol-level standard for driving, and drivers stopped for driving under the influence of intoxicants will have their licenses confiscated. If you are found guilty of driving under the influence, speeding, or blatantly careless driving resulting in injury, you are subject to up to 15 years in prison. 

See our  Road Safety page  for more information. The National Police Agency (NPA) oversees the administration and enforcement of traffic laws in Japan. You can find further information in English on the  NPA English website . Information about roadside assistance, rules of the road, and obtaining a Japanese driver's license is available in English from the  Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) web site . See  the Japan National Tourism Organization’s website for car rental and driving in Japan.

Emergency Assistance : For roadside assistance, please contact the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) at 03-5730-0111 in Tokyo, 072-645-0111 in Osaka, 011-857-8139 in Sapporo, 092-841-5000 in Fukuoka, or 098-877-9163 in Okinawa.

International Driving Permits (IDPs):  An international driving permit (IDP) issued in the United States by the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA) is required of short-term visitors who drive in Japan. You must obtain an IDP issued in your country of residence prior to arriving in Japan. The U.S. Embassy andU.S. consulates do not issue IDPs. IDPs issued via the Internet and/or by other organizations are not valid in Japan. 

Foreign residents in Japan who use an IDP may be fined or arrested. In practice, the term “resident” involves more than simply visa status or length of stay in Japan and is determined by the police. In short, a driver license from country outside Japan is not a substitute for a valid Japanese license for foreign residents. See the U.S. Embassy’s  website  for more information on driving in Japan.

Aviation Safety Oversight : The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Japan’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Japan’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the  FAA's safety assessment page .

Maritime Travel : Mariners planning travel to Japan should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts  in the Alerts section of the Embassy’s messages. Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website , and the  National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) broadcast warnings website portal  select “broadcast warnings.”

For additional travel information

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department’s travel website  for the  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook .
  • See  traveling safely abroad  for useful travel tips.

Review information about International Parental Child Abduction in  Japan . For additional IPCA-related information, please see the  International Child Abduction Prevention and Return Act ( ICAPRA )  report.

Travel Advisory Levels

Assistance for u.s. citizens, learn about your destination, enroll in step.

Enroll in STEP

Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad.

Recommended Web Browsers: Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency, and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.


Antigua and Barbuda

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Bosnia and Herzegovina

British Virgin Islands

Burkina Faso

Burma (Myanmar)

Cayman Islands

Central African Republic

Cote d Ivoire


Czech Republic

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eswatini (Swaziland)

Falkland Islands

France (includes Monaco)

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French West Indies

Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)


Isle of Man

Israel, The West Bank and Gaza


Marshall Islands


New Caledonia

New Zealand

North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

Papua New Guinea


Republic of North Macedonia

Republic of the Congo

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

Sint Maarten

Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Korea

South Sudan


The Bahamas


Trinidad and Tobago


Turks and Caicos Islands

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

External Link

You are about to leave travel.state.gov for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.

Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on travel.state.gov, click the "cancel" message.

You are about to visit:

Asia Chevron

Japan Chevron

Everything You Need to Know About Japan's New Digital Nomad Visa

By Hannah Towey

Japan Digital Nomad Visa What Travelers Need to Know

Travelers can't get enough of Japan, voted the best country in the world in the 2023 Readers' Choice Awards . But until now, remote workers looking to live and work on the alluring archipelago were limited to 90-day stays.

That could all change next month, according to the Japan Times . Last week, the newspaper reported that the Japan Immigration Services Agency (ISA) has announced plans to launch a six-month digital nomad visa in late March.

It isn't coming a minute too soon. While the first wave of post-pandemic travel manifested in Southern Europe, East Asia is now taking center stage—with Japan emerging as the standout star . This past December broke records for American travel to Japan, when 26.8% more Americans traveled to the country than in December 2019.

The highly-anticipated visa will be open to remote workers who make at least ¥10 million (about $66,400) a year and are from one of 49 countries and territories including the US, Australia , and Singapore . Self-employed digital nomads can apply, but they must have private health insurance, the Japan Times reports.

Japan's digital nomad visa isn't just for solo travelers—recipients can also bring along their spouse and children. Unlike some other programs, immediate extensions won't be offered once the visa expires. However, digital nomads can reapply for the visa six months after leaving Japan.

As Japan's tourism economy continues an impressive recovery approximately two years after removing COVID-19 travel restrictions, the visa would help facilitate longer-term stays and win over the economic contributions of some of the world's millions of remote workers. Over 50 countries now offer digital nomad visas or similar alternatives, including popular destinations like Portugal , Costa Rica , and Norway .

The visa is just one more reason for full-time travelers and expats to put Japan on their radar. Offering everything from awe-inspiring natural scenery and artistry in the Seto Inland Sea to the exciting urban nightlife and culinary scene of Tokyo , there's truly something for every type of traveler—remote worker or otherwise.


Takanawa Hanakohro

Takanawa Hanakohro

The Tokyo EDITION, Ginza

The Tokyo EDITION, Ginza

Asia Travel Guide

Asia Travel Guide

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement (including the class action waiver and arbitration provisions ), our Privacy Policy & Cookie Statement and to receive marketing and account-related emails from Traveller. You can unsubscribe at any time. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Everything we know about Japan’s new six-month digital nomad visa

John Walton

Feb 16, 2024 • 4 min read

A tourist carrying a camera asks for directions in Tokyo, Japan

Pack up your laptop and make use of Japan's new digital nomad visa © monzenmachi / Getty Images

If working remotely in Japan for six months as a digital nomad sounds like your idea of heaven, we have some good news. Whether you want to get cosy in a tiny Tokyo apartment, go full Totoro in an old house in the countryside or something in between, Japan's new digital nomad visa program is the perfect way to do it on your terms. Lonely Planet's resident Japan expert John Walton digs into what we know so far.

The details of Japan’s 90-day digital nomad visa are still somewhat fluid since most of the information available is coming from social media posts by Imaeda Soichiro ; by Japan's Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture & Science (MEXT);  Unseen Japan ; the Japan Digital Nomad Association ; and the Japan Times . Imaeda notes that the government will be listening to feedback during a period of public consultation throughout February, and then expects to launch the program in March 2024.

Imaeda suggests the program is likely to be a six-months-in, six-months-out system, with eligibility resetting six months after the digital nomad departs Japan. I’d expect the detail of this to eventually state 90 days rather than six months, largely for purposes of where your tax residency ends up (see below).

Details of how to apply and what documentation will be required have not yet been published – keep an eye on Japan’s Immigration Services Agency for more details.

A woman working on her laptop outside a guesthouse in Japan

Passport-holders of visa-exempt countries with tax treaties can apply, but you won’t be an official Japanese resident

Eligibility for the digital nomad visa looks set to be aligned with passports issued by countries that are part of Japan's  visa-free stay program . That includes the US and Canada, the EU, several other European countries, Australia and New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong, and many more.

Imaeda notes that a secondary requirement is for the passport holder’s country to also have a tax treaty with Japan , which is standard to avoid double taxation. The lists are different in some ways (Lesotho, Barbados and a few other countries don’t appear on the tax treaty list, for example) so do check your eligibility carefully.

Note that you won’t be eligible for resident records, which likely means that you won’t be establishing Japanese tax residency either. You’ll also need to have private health insurance.

It’s aimed at high-income remote workers, with a ¥10 million salary requirement

Imaeda highlights that an income of ¥10 million – around US$68,000 or €62,000 of income at the time of writing – will be required for the program. There’s little detail available on this topic but I’d expect digital nomads will have to prove this through forward-looking contracts and/or past-year documentation.

Only certain kinds of workers will be eligible, largely to prevent the digital nomad visa from being used as an end-run around Japan’s immigration system.

Specifically, he mentions that the visa is for contracted workers remunerated by foreign public or private organizations. For sole proprietors (in other words, independents and freelancers), Imaeda states that they will need to have concluded a contract with a non-Japanese public or private company, and from the sounds of it this will need to be done before applying rather than afterward.

Keep an eye out for details about whether spouses and children are eligible in some cases – there's a lot of conflicting information around this point of concern. In particular, LGBTIQ+ travelers hoping to bring families along should read the details carefully when they are published: Japan does not have nationwide marriage equality or civil partnership registers for same-sex couples. Some municipal and prefectural bodies do operate couple registries – but these are unlikely to have an impact on immigration matters.

A young Black woman using her smartphone on the street in Tokyo, Japan

Your passport may already mean you can work for three months in Japan

If all this sounds a little complicated, or you’d like to wait and see how it all works out in practice, an easier option might be to try a three-month visa exemption in Japan. This is already available for quite a few countries and it permits tourism and business travel.

Most travelers with a passport from one of the 70 countries on the eligibility list  are already granted a 90-day (so just under three months) visa exemption on landing – that’s the little sticker that goes into your passport when you arrive in Japan.

Exceptions include Brunei, Indonesia, Qatar, Thailand and the UAE (who get less time) and Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland and the UK (who can renew their 90-day visa exemption by applying to the Japanese authorities before their 90 days is up).

Japan also has a working holiday program for younger residents of 29 countries.

Explore related stories

tourist visa japan documents

Destination Practicalities

Feb 21, 2024 • 5 min read

Plan your visit to LA with this guide to what's happening through the year.


Feb 21, 2024 • 4 min read

tourist visa japan documents

Feb 21, 2024 • 8 min read


Feb 20, 2024 • 13 min read

Two young women, from Poland and Israel, pause for a selfie while hiking the Gwaneumsa Trail in Hallasan National Park. Located on Jeju Island, Hallasan is the highest mountain in South Korea.

Feb 20, 2024 • 6 min read

tourist visa japan documents

Feb 21, 2024 • 2 min read

tourist visa japan documents

Feb 21, 2024 • 6 min read

tourist visa japan documents

Feb 21, 2024 • 7 min read


An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock ( Lock A locked padlock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

tourist visa japan documents

U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Japan

Side Navigation Logo

Important Notice

Effective April 20, 2023, U.S. Consulate Fukuoka no longer offers nonimmigrant visa services. Nonimmigrant visa services are currently available in Tokyo, Osaka, Naha, and Sapporo.

Nonimmigrant Visa Fees Will Increase on June 17, 2023

The U.S. Department of State has increased certain nonimmigrant visa (NIV) application processing fees. These fee increases are effective as of June 17, 2023.

Effective October 14, 2023, a new system has been implemented to handle payments and appointments for nonimmigrant and K visas.


Starting May 12, 2023, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States.

Key Visa Services

Visa Waiver Program

Nonimmigrant Visas

Immigrant visas, green card holders.

Contact the Visa Unit

  • Visiting the Embassy or Consulate

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (visitor visa purposes) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program.

Apply for ESTA

VWP travelers are required to apply for authorization though the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to their travel to the United States.

VWP/ESTA Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA application process.

Diplomatic/Official/Government-Sponsored J visas

Detailed instructions for diplomats and government officials (A visas), employees of international organizations (G visas), and participants in government sponsored exchange programs (with program numbers starting with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 on Form DS-2019).

Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor Visas

Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are available for citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation, including Japan, who work for companies that trade or invest in the United States.

Student, Employment-based, and other Visas

Complete information on applying for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

Visa Status Check Online

Applicants for nonimmigrant visas may check the status of their visa cases online. All DS-160 forms created within the past year are available in the online CEAC Status Check.

Nonimmigrant Visa FAQ

Frequently asked questions on nonimmigrant visas.

Family-Based Immigration

U.S. citizens may sponsor their spouses, minor children, adult sons and daughters, parents, and siblings. U.S. lawful permanent residents may sponsor their spouses, minor children, and adult sons and daughters.

Fiancé(e) Visas

The K-1 visa permits a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.

Employment-Based, Diversity, and Other Immigrant Visas

Complete information on applying for an immigrant visa, including employment-based immigration and diversity visas

Returning Resident Visas (SB-1)

A U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year (sometimes shorter for conditional residents) or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit must obtain a new immigrant visa to re-enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

Applicants for immigrant and K visas may check the status of their visa cases online.

Immigrant Visa FAQs

Frequently asked questions on immigrant visas.

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

U.S. Immigration law presumes that a person admitted to the United States as an immigrant will live in the United States permanently. Remaining outside the United States for more than 12 months may result in a loss of lawful permanent resident status.

Conditional Residents

You are a conditional resident if you immigrated to the United States as the spouse of a U.S. citizen before the second anniversary of your marriage, or as the stepchild of a U.S. citizen before the second anniversary of the marriage between your non-U.S. citizen parent and your U.S. citizen stepparent. Special rules apply to conditional residents.

Re-entry Permit Receipt Status Check

Lawful permanent residents may request USCIS to send their re-entry permits to the Embassy in Tokyo or the Consulates in Sapporo, Osaka, Fukuoka, or Naha.

Lost or Stolen Green Cards

If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may be able to obtain a “Boarding Foil” to facilitate your return to the United States.

Abandoning Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)

USCIS provides information about how to abandon your lawful permanent resident status by filing Form I-407.

Lawful Permanent Resident Child Born Abroad

Under U.S. immigration regulations, children who meet certain criteria do not need to obtain a visa to immigrate to the United States.

For questions on visa services, please consult the Visa Navigator.

Visiting The Embassy or Consulates

Security Notice

The Embassy/Consulates do NOT store prohibited items for visa applicants, such as food, large bags, laptops, etc. There is no facility at the Embassy/Consulates to store such items, so you must make arrangements to store these items elsewhere before you enter. If you arrive with a prohibited item, you will be turned away and asked to make a new appointment.

Office Closures

The Embassy/Consulates will close to the public in observance of United States and Japanese holidays.

Tourism & Visit

Study & Exchange

Other Types of Visas

Additional Information

Rights and Protections for Temporary Workers

The pamphlet linked below informs you of your rights as a nonimmigrant visa holder in certain employment- and education-based categories.

Rights and Protections for Immigrant Visa Applicants

The pamphlet informs applicants applying for K-1 visas, K-3, IR-1/CR-1 immigrant visas, and F2A immigrant visas of their legal rights relating to domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse.

Visit the U.S.A.

Visit U.S.A.

Our goal is to inspire people from around the world to explore all the exciting travel possibilities in the United States. Watch our videos and discover it, all within your reach.

Official Guide

180 pages packed with beautiful photography, detailed location descriptions, and real stories to introduce you to the nearly endless possibilities available during your trip.

Trip Planner

Create a day-by-day itinerary that’s just right for you!

CDC Opens New East Asia and Pacific Regional Office in Japan

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Mandy Cohen celebrated the opening of the new CDC East Asia and Pacific (EAP) regional office in Tokyo.

Ambassador Rahm Emanuel Debuts USA Pavilion Design for Expo 2025 Osaka

Ambassador Rahm Emanuel revealed on January 31 the design of the USA pavilion for Expo 2025 Osaka. Joined by Minister for World Expo 2025

Voting in 2024 U.S. Federal Elections

Your vote counts! Follow a few simple steps to make sure that you can vote in the 2024 federal U.S. elections.

Other Resources

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

U.S. Customs and Border Protection


Fraud Prevention Warning

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship or nationality.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel under the  Visa Waiver Program .  The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.  If you cannot find what you are looking for here, please visit  Travel.State.gov  for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States, but when planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

Do You Already Know What Type of Visa You Need?

For nonimmigrant visas, you can go directly to the online application for the  DS-160 ; or for immigrant visas, directly to the  USCIS  site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure, please use the Visa Wizard below to help you determine your visa type.

tourist visa japan documents

The latest Department of State travel updates and guidance on travel.state.gov .

  • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Enroll Now
  • Looking for the nearest embassy or consulate? Visit the official list of embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions from the U.S. Department of State. Find the nearest Embassy or Consulate
  • Coronavirus.gov A portal for public information that is curated by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force at the White House, working in conjunction with CDC, HHS and other agency stakeholders. Visit Coronavirus.gov .

Have an emergency?

  • Contact your nearest embassy or call 1-888-407-4747 (U.S./Canada) or +1-202-501-4444 (overseas)
  • Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate
  • Enroll for Alerts

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) landing page on CDC.gov is the latest public health and safety information from CDC and for the overarching medical and health provider community on COVID-19. Visit CDC Covid-19 Page

Visit the official list of embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions from the U.S. Department of State.

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.     Enroll Now

Use up to three keywords instead of using a full sentence for the best search results.

product warranty

free shipping offer

Would you help us improve our website

Note: This feature is strictly for feedback about your experience using the website. All other questions and feedback will be disregarded. Thank you for your understanding. You are visiting a website that just underwent a redesign. Please take a few moments to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Note: This feature is strictly for feedback about your experience using the website.

Please take a few moments to provide us with your valuable feedback. Note: This feature is strictly for feedback about your experience using the website. All other questions and feedback will be disregarded.

{{ error }}

* Please see our Contact Us page for more information on how to reach us.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Please call your nearest Consulate or Embassy:

Cookies on GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.

We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.

We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.

You have accepted additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

You have rejected additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

tourist visa japan documents

  • Passports, travel and living abroad
  • Travel abroad
  • Foreign travel advice

Entry requirements

This advice reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Japan set and enforce entry rules. If you’re not sure how these requirements apply to you, contact the Japanese Embassy in the UK .

COVID-19 rules

There are no COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements for travellers entering Japan.

Travel in Japan

There are no official COVID-19 restrictions on travel, dining out or other activities. However, the Japanese government still recommends social distancing, mask wearing and other basic precautions. Public compliance with these recommendations is high.

Passport validity requirements   

If you’re visiting Japan, your passport must be valid for the length of your stay. No additional period of validity is required.

Check with your travel provider that your passport and other travel documents meet requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

You will be denied entry if you do not have a valid travel document or try to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen. 

Visa requirements

If you have a ‘British citizen’ passport, you can travel to Japan for tourism or business for up to 90 days. You will get a visa in your passport on arrival, and you do not need to apply before you travel. The Japanese immigration authorities may extend your visa by another 90 days at their discretion. You will need to apply for an extension.

If you have another type of British passport, you must get a visa.

To stay longer (to work or study, for or for other reasons), you must meet the Japanese government’s entry requirements. Check which type of visa or work permit you need with the Japanese Embassy in the UK .

It is illegal to work in Japan without the correct visa however informal or temporary the work.

If you overstay your permission to remain in Japan, you risk arrest, detention and a heavy fine.

For residency information, see the Japanese Immigration Services Agency website and living in Japan .

Vaccination requirements

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the vaccinations and certificates you need in TravelHealthPro’s Japan guide .

Customs rules

There are strict rules about goods you can take into or out of Japan . You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty.

It is illegal to bring meat products (including sausages, bacon and ham) to Japan without permission from the Japanese Animal Quarantine Service . Penalties include a heavy fine and prison sentence.

Whale meat is available in Japan but importing it into the UK and EU is illegal. If you import whale meat to the UK, you can get a fine of up to £5,000 and a prison sentence. Customs officers will seize the meat.

Taking money into Japan  

People mainly use cash in Japan.

You may have difficulty using credit and debit cards issued outside Japan. Cirrus, Maestro, Link and Delta cash cards are not widely accepted. Japanese post offices, 7-Eleven stores and JP Post Bank have cash machines that will accept some foreign cards during business hours.

Check with your bank before travelling and take alternative sources of money.

Related content

Is this page useful.

  • Yes this page is useful
  • No this page is not useful

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.

To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website uses JavaScript. Please turn on "JavaScript" and use it.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

General visa: Dependent (family stays)

The Straits Times

  • International
  • Print Edition
  • news with benefits
  • SPH Rewards
  • STClassifieds
  • Berita Harian
  • Hardwarezone
  • Shin Min Daily News
  • SRX Property
  • Tamil Murasu
  • The Business Times
  • The New Paper
  • Lianhe Zaobao
  • Advertise with us

Japan introduces ‘restrictive’ six-month digital nomad visa

tourist visa japan documents

Japan is the latest destination in Asia to offer a visa for digital nomads, but some are calling it “restrictive”.

Digital nomads are individuals who work remotely while moving between locations for short- or medium-term stays.

Japan’s scheme is set to launch in late March with a visa valid for six months.

Individuals from 49 countries and territories, including Singapore, the United States and Australia, can apply, according to The Japan Times newspaper.

Applicants must earn a minimum annual income of ¥10 million (S$90,000) and have private insurance. Self-employed individuals are eligible, as well as people with spouses and children.

Visa holders will be allowed to live and work remotely from anywhere in the country. But they do not qualify for a residence card by virtue of having the digital nomad visa.

There will be no immediate extensions of this visa upon expiration; a reapplication may be submitted six months after a person leaves Japan, according to travel and hospitality website Travel Daily Media.

Japan joins a growing list of countries and territories that offer such a scheme, which includes Estonia, Mexico, Portugal and Taiwan.

The Japanese initiative is part of the broader strategy to attract more remote workers and boost its tourism economy. The government hopes digital nomads will drive innovation and energise the country’s rapidly ageing workforce.

However, digital nomad communities say the terms of Japan’s visa are restrictive, according to a report by Australia’s ABC News.

They say the visa’s six-month validity is too short for long-term travellers and the minimum annual salary requirement is too stringent for those working in start-ups.

Most places offer the visa for a minimum period of a year. Japan’s six-month visa is similar to Iceland’s, which is valid for 180 days.

For Spain, one of the top destinations for digital nomads due to its visa’s low barrier of entry, applicants must have a monthly income of €2,600 (S$3,800), according to a BBC report. Its visa is valid for a minimum period of one year and for up to five years with renewal.

Japan’s digital nomad visa is similar to South Korea’s. Applicants to the one in South Korea must earn an annual income of over 84.96 million won (S$85,500) and be employed by a foreign company. Digital nomads and their families can stay in the country for up to two years.

Malaysia’s “nomad pass” allows applicants to stay for up to two years, provided they earn more than $32,500 a year. They should work in a digital-related field, such as IT and digital marketing, and have health insurance.

Taiwan offers a “Gold Card”, which is not technically a digital nomad visa, but does allow unlimited entry for three years, along with working and residency rights. Applicants are assessed based on their professional skills.

Still, despite Japan’s seemingly stricter terms, its visa is likely to be popular, the BBC report said. It is the result of a survey of digital nomads, who indicated a preference to stay longer than the 90-day visa-free arrangement for tourists.

In 2023, Tokyo took the top spot as the fastest-growing destination for digital nomads, according to Nomad List, a website for remote workers.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

  • Working life
  • Flexible work arrangements

Read 3 articles and stand to win rewards

Spin the wheel now


  1. Updated! JAPAN VISA REQUIREMENTS & Application for Tourists 2018!

    tourist visa japan documents

  2. Japan Tourist Visa

    tourist visa japan documents

  3. How To Apply Tourist Visa In Japan

    tourist visa japan documents

  4. Application For Japan Visa

    tourist visa japan documents

  5. JAPAN VISA Application, Requirements and Tips

    tourist visa japan documents

  6. How to Apply For Single Entry Japan Tourist Visa for Filipinos

    tourist visa japan documents


  1. Detailed information about Japanese tourist visa

  2. Japan visa|| tourist visa Japan || within 3 to 4 days japan visa get ||

  3. If you haven’t gotten your Japan visa yet

  4. Can I work in Japan 🇯🇵 with a tourist visa

  5. Japan tourist visa approved for the first time entry

  6. Japan Tourist Visa approved


  1. VISA

    1. Visa Application Procedures Short-Term Stay (A stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include remunerative activities) Click on the nationality of the visa applicant traveling to Japan. Countries or Regions that require a visa to enter Japan

  2. VISA

    Japanese Tweet The JAPAN eVISA is a system that enables applicants to apply for a visa online and issues an electronic visa to applicants for a short-term stay for the purpose of tourism. As of February 1, 2024, JAPAN eVISA is available to residents in the following countries/region. Eligibility

  3. Japan Visa Requirements

    Helping You Plan Visa Information All you need to know about entering, leaving and staying in Japan Any foreign visitor entering Japan must have a valid passport for the duration of their stay, and all visitors must comply with the conditions of their visas. See below for information about the current visa requirements for Japan. Visa Information

  4. Information for U.S. Citizens Traveling to Japan

    Effective as of midnight April 29, 2023 (Japan time), all travelers arriving in Japan will no longer need to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test certificate. For more info: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html.

  5. Japan Visa Document Requirements

    The standard set of documents you need when you apply for a Japan visa is: Japan Visa Application Form Your passport Passport-size picture Flight itinerary Daily itinerary Proof of accommodation Proof of financial solvency Letter of invitation Proof of travel purpose Certificate of Eligibility (COE), if applicable Japan Visa Application Form

  6. What are the required entry travel documents for Japan?

    The exact documentation differs from embassy to embassy but basically includes the following: Certificate of loss issued by the police station Passport photo Identification Emergency visa fee < Prev Next > Many nationalities can enter Japan with just a passport though others need to obtain a visa.

  7. Japan Visa Requirements

    A valid passport with at least 6 months validity and 2 blank pages A completed and signed visa application form A recent photograph, size 4.5 x 4.5 cm, in color and with a white background An official birth certificate or a certified copy If the traveler is married, it is necessary to submit a marriage certificate issued within one year

  8. Japan Tourist Visa

    Daily Itinerary. You have to include an itinerary of your daily activities in Japan. You can find a sample itinerary for Japan Visa at the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affair ( here ). If you have a guarantor in Japan: Invitation Letter from the Guarantor


    VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN *Official use only Surname (as shown in passport) Given and middle names (as shown in passport) Other names (including any other names you are or have been known by) (Paste photo here) 45mm ×45mm or 2in×2in Date of birth Sex: Male (Day)/(Month)/(Year) Female Place of birth (City) Marital status: Single

  10. Tourist Visa In Japan: A Simple Guide [February 2024 Update]

    4 What Documents Are Required For The Tourist Visa? 5 What Is The Japanese E-VISA? 6 How To Obtain A Japanese E-VISA? 7 What Is The Visa Fees And Processing Time For A Tourist Visa And E-VISA? 8 Conclusion Who Needs A Tourist Visa Or E-VISA In Japan?

  11. Japan tourist visa

    To obtain a tourist visa, you must first prepare the following documents: Japan Tourist Visa Application Form: You can download this form from the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs in this link. All fields must be filled. If one of them doesn't apply to you, write N/A in the blank. This form must be signed.

  12. Visit Japan Web

    This is a web service that allows you to perform immigration procedures (immigration inspection, customs declaration). This service can be used not only by those entering the country from overseas but also by those returning to Japan. Register the necessary information for immigration procedures in advance.Please create a 2D code on this web ...

  13. Temporary Visitor Visa

    Each Temporary Visitor Visa applicant must submit the following documents: * Consulate General of Japan will not make copies. If you need original documents, please bring the original plus one copy. An application form completed and signed. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices.

  14. The Ultimate Guide to Japan Visa Application Documents

    1. Passport: Your Key to Japan. Your passport is the most crucial document for your Japan visa application. Ensure that it is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay in Japan ...


    JAPAN VISIT VISA REQUIREMENTS. Below is a list of the documents you need to gather for your visa application. Note that documents that need to be printed out (e.g. application form, itinerary) must be done on an A4-size paper.

  16. FAQ about JAPAN eVISA

    A3: It is a visa that is issued and recorded electronically. If you apply through JAPAN eVISA, an electronic visa (eVISA) will be issued. You will not have a visa sticker in your passport. When checking in at the airport, you will be asked to display a "visa issuance notice" on your device (e.g. smart-phone, tablet) to prove that you have a ...

  17. Japan International Travel Information

    Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Travel Advisories.

  18. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

    general information for the applicants applying entry visa please provide documents corresponding to your purpose of visit. purpose column 'b' stands for business, 'r' for relatives, 'c' for conference and 't' for tourism. code . name. purpose. description of documents to be provided from japan. b. r. c. t. j-01. guarantee. b. r. c

  19. Japan Digital Nomad Visa: What Travelers Need to Know

    The highly-anticipated visa will be open to remote workers who make at least ¥10 million (about $66,400) a year and are from one of 49 countries and territories including the US, Australia, and ...

  20. Japan is finally releasing a digital nomad visa

    Even still, that post-pandemic economic afterglow is likely to benefit Japan's inbound tourism recovery plan (of which the new visa is a part) that was set forth by prime minister Fumio Kishida ...

  21. What you need to know about Japan's digital nomad visa

    Lonely Planet's resident Japan expert John Walton digs into what we know so far. The details of Japan's 90-day digital nomad visa are still somewhat fluid since most of the information available is coming from social media posts by Imaeda Soichiro by Japan's Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture & Science (MEXT), Unseen Japan, the Japan ...

  22. Visas

    Visit the U.S.A. Important Notice Effective October 14, 2023, a new system has been implemented to handle payments and appointments for nonimmigrant and K visas. UPDATE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION FOR NONIMMIGRANT TRAVEL

  23. Frequently Asked Questions

    A5: There are four ways to apply for a visa: (1) the visa applicant him/herself goes directly to the Japanese Embassy / Consulate General, (2) the visa applicant writes a Letter of Proxy and get a proxy to go to the Japanese Embassy / Consulate General in his / her place, (3) the visa applicant uses an accredited travel agent approved by the Jap...

  24. Entry requirements

    Passport validity requirements If you're visiting Japan, your passport must be valid for the length of your stay. No additional period of validity is required. Check with your travel provider...

  25. Japan is launching a digital nomad visa. Here's who can apply

    Immerse yourself in Japan with this new digital nomad visa. Japan is gearing up to launch a digital nomad visa next month. It will allow citizens of 49 nations, including EU member states, to stay ...

  26. VISA

    Necessary documents: Passport; One visa application form (nationals of Russia, CIS countries or Georgia need to submit two visa application forms) ... which is issued by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Immigration Services Agency of Japan, certifies that the foreign national conforms to the conditions for landing ...

  27. Japan's Digital Nomad Visa Is Launching In March

    The new visa is slated to launch by the end of March. The initiative comes as Japan's government struggles to make good on its 2020 pledge for a national " digital revolution .". Since 2019 ...

  28. Japan introduces 'restrictive' six-month digital nomad visa

    Japan's digital nomad visa is similar to South Korea's. Applicants to the one in South Korea must earn an annual income of over 84.96 million won (S$85,500) and be employed by a foreign company.